1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recurring Crash - Looping sound and blotchy colours

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mannaroth, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mannaroth

mannaroth Thread Starter

Hi guys

I've had a problem with this computer since a few months after I got it in September 2008. Problems started around January 2009. My computer has this rather annoying habit of randomly freezing up. The screen freezes, any colours on the screen become blotched and distorted, any sound that is playing is looped over the previous half a second, and the mouse is unmoveable. Sometimes after 5-10 seconds of this it automatically turns itself off, but most of the time I have to do it myself. This problem occurs at least twice a day. Sometimes it will happen after the computer has been on for 5 minutes, sometimes it will happen after 5 hours. That said it never seems to crash when its left on its own, only when i'm manually doing things on it.

At first I figured it was overheating. I also smelt smoke coming from my PSU. I have since bought a new PSU, which fixed the smokey smell but the problem persists. I bought two new fans, cleaned all the dust from my gpu fan (there was a lot), and now its running at around 34 degrees whilst idle, but up to 48 when under load. CPU peaks around 40-45.

I tried updating my motherboard bios. I though this had fixed it, went a day without crashing... then it happened again.

I updated from windows vista to windows 7 completely wiping my hdd, didn't fix a thing.

I've tried running a memory test, discovered no faults.

My specs are as follows:

4 GB RAM
    Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @2.4GHz
    Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT. 512 mb
    ASUS P5E Motherboard
    Windows 7 32 bit.

If anyone has -any- tips to help me solve this incredibly annoying problem, I would love to hear from you.

2. mannaroth

mannaroth Thread Starter

3. mannaroth

mannaroth Thread Starter

Nobody got any advice?

4. mannaroth

mannaroth Thread Starter

5. mannaroth

mannaroth Thread Starter

bump bump

6. mannaroth

mannaroth Thread Starter

Problem seems to occur more quickly if two monitors are connected...

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920768

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice