1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recuva Data Recovery: "file's data could not be found..."

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Al_Ciao, Jan 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Al_Ciao

Al_Ciao Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 945 Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 4 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8183 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 919 GB (245 GB Free); D: 11 GB (1 GB Free);
    Motherboard: FOXCONN, ALOE
    Antivirus: Avira Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

Background: A family member got mad and deleted all of my creative projects, then deleted them from Recycle Bin. (I caught them in the act, they are now penitent, and I'm going to change the computer's password to avoid future mishaps.) The hardest files for me to reproduce would be the dozens of psd files (Photoshop) into which I've sunk hundreds if not thousands of hours.

I've done nothing on the computer since then, except to sleep it, then turn it back on (after a power outage while it was asleep), plug in a flash drive with Recuva's portable version (recommended to me by a friend, this is my first time ever using it), and run it from the flash drive.

After deep scanning, Recuva finds the the files, but for the four psd files I most want to recover, Recuva notes, "The file's data could not be found on the disk."

Not only is this upsetting, it's also mystifying, given that I've done nothing else on the computer since the deletion.

My google fu (which admittedly is weak) turned up vague possibilities about Recuva sometimes having trouble with psd files, or that I need to do something different to scan files that were deleted from the Recycle Bin; however, I could not find anything definite, nor what to do.

Recuva's forum looks pretty inactive, so I'm hoping you all can help me out, please. Sorry for the long-winded explanation. Thanks!

Additional Note: I use psd files that were created in CS6 (I think) by a friend, then duplicated, edited, and significantly expanded by me in the very old free version of Photoshop available from Adobe's website (which I think is CS2). I don't know if this would be affecting Recuva's ability to recover the files, but I'm mentioning it just in case.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, the ability to recover any data is inversely proportional to operating the system. The longer the system is ON, the less chance you have of recovering data.

The very first thing to do is STOP using the system. Pull the hard drive out and connect it to a working system. Now run data recovery software. I would use multiple programs; recuva is just one of them. What one finds, the other may or may not find. If you do not have another system, you can boot your system with a linux live usb. At least windows would not be writing to the disk in question.

Hopefully this can be a lesson. Data you do not have multiple copies of is data you do not care about and you should expect to lose said data. Drives fail, accidents happen. With a current backup, it is a non-event.
    Personally I make four copies of important data; two on internal drives, a third on a NAS, and a fourth on an external that is stored in a safe. Maybe overkill however it only takes once loosing important data to make you paranoid about backups.

3. Al_Ciao

Al_Ciao Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply! I did have a backup, but the family member destroyed that too.

So even if the computer is asleep, that reduces chances of recovery?

I don't have another system (unless you count my phone and iPad), and i have no knowledge of how to take out or reinstall a hard drive, and would be afraid to try.

What is this about Linux on a flash drive?

Also, what other data programs would you recommend?

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

When you are scanning the drive, the operating system is running and that is what decreases the chances of any recovery. Windows is constantly writing files to the system drive ie making restore restore points, doing a defrag, checking for updates, etc, etc, etc. ALL of these things write to the drive SO if you are running the system, you are writing to the drive.
    That is why I put one backup in a safe.

Linux is an operating system just like windows however it [linux] has the option to run "Live" ie from a flash drive. This makes NO changes to your hard drive. While it would be better to pull the drive and install in another system, running linux live would be better than running your system while scanning.

From the questions you are asking, it would probably be best to take your system to a shop that does data recovery. By shop I mean a real shop NOT a best buy or other chain store. Note this is NOT cheap. A very basic data recovery starts at around $200 plug the cost of whatever media you want the data recovered to ie a new external drive or whatever. The cost goes way up from there.

I am leaving for work. Good luck.

5. Al_Ciao

Al_Ciao Thread Starter

Thanks! Unfortunately i don't have the money for professional data recovery.

I know what Linux is, but I've never used it. I used Ubuntu from a flash drive four or five years ago to boot up the computer when Windows was corrupted (based on advice and recommendations from here), but I don't recall how to do that; I'll see if I can hunt that old thread down.

Once I get that squared away, what other programs besides Recuva would you recommend, please?

Thanks again for your help thus far :)

6. Al_Ciao

Al_Ciao Thread Starter

I welcome suggestions for alternatives to Recuva from anyone, by the way. :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1221676

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice