1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recuva problem

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Shortcutter, Aug 6, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Shortcutter

Shortcutter Thread Starter

Have recently had to move to a fairly new HP laptop and am on Windows 10 when I am used more to Windows 7.

I was trying to clear one USB stick in order to copy a stick with password files on it for backup purposes. Laptop gave me E and F drive letters. However when I formatted F the laptop also formatted E so I have lost all my files. I tried Easeus first to recover but instead of scanning the requested USB stick it started scanning one of my User Name Accounts. So I stopped it. I then tried downloading the portable version of Recuva on to a different USB stick but Recuva does not seem to be able to find the USB stick.

Has anyone else had this problem ? Any suggestions what I can do ?

2. Shortcutter

I had not finished the above but it sent itself while I was checking something. Sorry

I downloaded Recuva Portable on to the formatted F USB stick. It seems to be there but when I open it it sticks on asking whether I want Recuva installed or not. When I say Yes and Install it says it has already been downloaded but it does not move on to directions for using it. Any suggestions ?
    Do you think it is because the USB sticks are corrupt ?

3. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    You could simply install and run it from the C: drive. If you are trying to install software onto the USB stick which contains the data you are trying to recover the data you want will be overwritten.

4. Shortcutter

Thank you. The stick that originally had the data on it was labelled E Drive by Windows 10. The one I tried to use for Recuva was the one I was trying to format when Windows formatted both of them which was labelled F also by Windows 10.

I did manage to download Recuva in the end from a different site and it did a deep scan of E which again seemed to include a lot of folders that were never on that USB stick. I dont understand what is going on. The result was that Recuva "could not find the path" - to the E Drive USB. Fortunately I have copies of the most important pwords elsewhere because they were recently changed. I will just have to change the rest as I find I need them I suppose.

I thought I had a backup copy but during his recent illness my husband seems to have overwritten it with some of his personal files. I must be more csreful in the future.

Thanks again - do you think it wld be worth trying to download Recuva into a C Drive file and trying sgain ?

5. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    I don't understand why Win10 is treating two different drives with two different drive letters as a single drive. In any case, for testing/troubleshooting, try using a single USB stick at a time.

As for Recuva, get it from the source: https://www.ccleaner.com/recuva

For data recovery in general, I've used EaseUs Data Recovery (not free) or there is TestDisk. I've not used either on a USB stick.

As for important data, and USB drives in general, always ensure that you have multiple copies.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1231062

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice