1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recycld.exe and Autorun.inf virus and Saving Files

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by lady_phenyx, Mar 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lady_phenyx

lady_phenyx Thread Starter

Hi - I've been fighting this for almost a month now. If anyone could help I would appreciate it.

I posted before about my computer having a problem where it was showing usb devices as folders, and double-clicking did not open them. I took it to a repair shop, and after two weeks and several reinstallations of Windows XP I have it back - working somewhat normally.

The usb device, when plugged in, have an autorun.inf file on them that spreads the problem from computer to computer. The repair man changed the script somehow and installed Autorun Eater so that the devices now run normally. However, I do not dare plug them into a different machine. Neither of us knows what is going on or if it is really clean, or if it is merely contained.

It is a IBM Thinkpad laptop running Windows XP home edition, and the usb devices in question are a Maxtor 250 GB external hard drive and a jump drive. Although he plugged the jump drive into his computer without (seeming) issue, I still hesitate to use it. He also claimed that it was his belief that the virus had gotten into the boot sector. I really don't know if it's still there - my Avira never caught anything, we know the name since his Norton saw it (though it didn't help him).

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get rid of it completely, or am I doomed to have it continually circling my machine?

In addition, is there any way for me to save what is on the external drive? If I burn the data to a dvd am I likely to just be spreading the virus around? What about burning some of the mp3s to an audio cd, is that safe or would it infect a computer it was played in? What about pictures and video? Right now I would be willing to deal with the Autorun Eater and the rest if I could save the data for later use.

If I have left anything out that could clarify, please let me know. I'm a little frustrated at the moment.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/913927

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice