1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recycle bin corrupt

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by thevampireashlee, Dec 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thevampireashlee

thevampireashlee Thread Starter

Hi, I'm running on Vista Home Premium and I am receiving an error message every time I try to delete a file, access the C:\ or open the Recycle Bin.

This is the error: The Recycle Bin on C:\ is corrupted. Do you want to empty Recycle Bin for this drive?

Clicking Yes attempts to delete a few files, all of which require admin permission. I click Continue and it is says "Unable to Delete" Try again or Skip. Trying again brings back the "Unable to delete message." If No is clicked at the initial error screen, the same message pops up and No must be clicked again for the message to go away.

I've tried running the rd /s /q C:\$recycle.bin command. These are my results in the elevated Cmd (run as admin):
    Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6001]
    Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>rd /s /q C:\$recycle.bin
    C:\$recycle.bin\S-1-5-~3\$RUNVN1H\en-US\hmmapi.dll.mui - Access is denied.
    C:\$recycle.bin\S-1-5-~3\$RUNVN1H\en-US\ieinstal.exe.mui - Access is denied.
    C:\$recycle.bin\S-1-5-~3\$RUNVN1H\en-US\ieuser.exe.mui - Access is denied.
    C:\$recycle.bin\S-1-5-~3\$RUNVN1H\en-US\iexplore.exe.mui - Access is denied.
    C:\$recycle.bin\S-1-5-~3\$RUNVN1H\hmmapi.dll - Access is denied.
    C:\$recycle.bin\S-1-5-~3\$RUNVN1H\ieinstal.exe - Access is denied.
    C:\$recycle.bin\S-1-5-~3\$RUNVN1H\ieuser.exe - Access is denied.
    C:\$recycle.bin\S-1-5-~3\$RUNVN1H\iexplore.exe - Access is denied.
    C:\$recycle.bin\S-1-5-~3\$RUNVN1H\sqmapi.dll - Access is denied.

C:\Windows\system32>

I have also tried this: viewing hidden files by selecting the option in Folder Options of Control Panel, then going to the C drive to delete the $Recycle.bin file. That file does not exist in C:\, viewing hidden views or otherwise. Nor does the desktop.ini file appear.

I have also tried deleting the recycle bin and creating a new manually in the Personalize option. Did not fix my issue.

Help please?

2. thevampireashlee

thevampireashlee Thread Starter

I should also mention that I am the Administrator on the computer. There are zero other users on the computer.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/969471

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice