1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recycle Bin doesn't show RAM used.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by pinguino1, Jan 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pinguino1

pinguino1 Thread Starter

Windows 7 doesn't show how much memory is used by all the deleted files.
    In Windows XP you just open the the recycle Bin and the ram used is there.

How I find the size used by th recycled files in Windows 7?

2. Shawrie

Shawrie

Hey mate, do you mean the percentage of hard drive space to be allocated to the recycle bin?

3. pinguino1

pinguino1 Thread Starter

Thank you Shawrie,

No. No the space allocated. I want to know the ACTUAL space used by the deleted files.

In Win XP I just opened the window and the total memory used was right there.

Windows 7 is prettier and simpler, But often they simplified too much that they left out important info. For example in the LAN communication properties the window is the same as in XP but they forgot the checkbox to display the connection icon in the notification tray.

4. Shawrie

Shawrie

Give this a try:

Open the recycle bin to show all files inside - select all files (CLT+A) - the total size of all files should be listed at the bottom of the window.

Shawrie

5. pinguino1

pinguino1 Thread Starter

I tried. At the bottom shows the total number of files but not the total memory used.

If you right-click any individual file you get the memory used by every individual file.

6. Shawrie

Shawrie

Have you also clicked "Show more details"?

7. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

I just noticed something strange. If I select several files (only files, no folders) in Recycle Bin, the summary at the bottom shows their total size. If one of the selected items is a FOLDER, the total size information disappears for all selected items.

8. pinguino1

pinguino1 Thread Starter

It just shows the range of dates deleted

9. pinguino1

pinguino1 Thread Starter

Even more strange. When you use the mouse to select several files the totals add up as you move the mouse, but when you get to 18 MG the total all the info disappears and shows only the number of files selected.

Definitely the Recycle Bin we have for the past 10 years was better.

10. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

If you sort by item type, you can select all files and exclude folders. If you select a folder, no size info. Don't know why.

I only have 7.5 MB of files in there now, so don't know if I'll hit a limit around 18 MB or not.

11. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

The size column shows all the sizes, including folder sizes (wish it did that in explorer) but won't let you add them up, how nice is that.

If you select multiple files and do a properties, nothing happens.

No wonder so many are moving to MAC.

Microsoft just doesn't get it.

12. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

There is a workaround though, open windows explorer (windows + E) and do a properties on the $Recycle.Bin folder in the right pane after selecting the C drive in the left pane.

You will have to unhide protected Operating System files and show hidden files and folders in folder options to see the $Recycle.bin folder.

13. lyndacatt

lyndacatt

I'm sorry, but I don't understand why anyone would care how big the files are in the recycle bin. It seems to me that you put items you don't want in there. Why are you keeping items in the bin? Is this a way of storing items you want later?

14. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Probably just a curiosity thing, wanting to know how much disk space you could gain before emptying it.

15. valis

valis Moderator

that was my kneejerk reaction as well, but with geeks, you never can tell. :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/895428

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice