1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

RECYCLE BIN - full of junk on pop-up window

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by hotskates, Jan 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hotskates

hotskates Thread Starter

When I right click my recycle bin (on the desktop)it used to just give me a few options such as explore and delete contents. Now since I have downloaded several demos like, diskpie and cool find and paint shop pro 7, there are little leftovers mentioned on the recycle bin contents, such as browse with paintshop pro7, and find with cool find, and diskpie view. How can I get these off of here. I have windows ME and I have also deleted all of the above mentioned demos that I downloaded.

2. sinterklaas

sinterklaas

3. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Here are several places to start:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

Look for the entries from the programs you have uninstalled. Delete them.
    Before you remove anything, backup the reg in case you delete the wrong key. This command will place a copy of the reg on the desktop named reg.reg If you make a mistake, double click on reg.reg to undo everything you have done and start fresh.
    Go to start>run and type:
    regedit /e reg.reg

If you need help going over how to do it, please post back.

4. hotskates

hotskates Thread Starter

Hi Mosiac1,
    Thanks for the help. However, I am a beginner and am really quite confused about how to go about the process you suggested. Number one, how do I backup the reg incase I delete the wrong key? I would appreciate a "play by play" description, because I love to learn new things on the computer and this sounds very interesting. Secondly, after I backup the reg, where do I type the "regedit/e reg.reg? Is it after the run command? Sorry but I need help. Thanks . Hotskates

5. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

hotskates,
    I am in the middle of a few things. Since you are at square one, I want to explain this to you step by step. I do have a question for you. You say you deleted the demos? I hope you didn't Delete them. They were installed programs. You should have used the uninstall to correctly remove any program. That would be found in Add Remove Programs.
    If you did , in fact just delete, you need to reinstall that program and then use the uninstall feature to remove it from not only your hard drive, but from the Windows registry as well.
    Doing that will remove some of these entries from your Context menus too. Try that first and then post back with your results. If you need to go into the registry, I will help you. It's better to stay out unless you need to go in.

6. hotskates

hotskates Thread Starter

I did use the "uninstall" in the control panel to uninstall Paintshop Pro 7. However, when I went back to their website (I was thinking of reinstalling to try uninstalling again), there was a little note near the download button mentioning that there would be parts of the demo attached to my hard drive that would be unremoveable because the would remain there in case I purchased the software, making installation easier I guess?
    It mentioned that if you wanted to remove this go to:
    C\ProgramFiles\JascSoftwareInc\SerupFiles\ I typed this in to my Search/find and it said that this file may be hidden, but, it is not at this location. I am about to give up and just leave this alone. Do you think this is worth digging into?

7. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

hotskates,
    First, let me apologize for not getting back to you sooner. I will help you and we can work on this together if you are interested. You want to clean up your menus. Did you get rid of all the other entries left behind from the other programs by installing and uninstalling the right way?
    I think it would help if I explained a few basics first so you can have a better understanding of how this works. Regedit uses the Tree View, also known as Explorer view.
    I see you used find files to look for a file. I need you to understand that although that's a good way to look for something, an understanding of what a path is and how to use Explorer view will help you to Navigate the registry.
    Simply speaking, you had a file in a folder which was in another folder which was in another folder. How to find it using Windows Explorer?
    I have a cake in the refrigerator in the kitchen in a house on Elm Street. How to find it? Go to Elm Street, look for the house. Go into the kitchen and open the refrigerator. That's the path to the cake. (trust me, I can always find the cake)
    It's the same thing here. We are going to click on + signs in front of the C Drive and then Programs files Folder etc......
    until we reach the file or Folder we need to find.
    Let's open Windows Explorer.
    Go to Start>programs>Windows Explorer
    Open it up and look at the left pane. The Treeview also known as explorer view. Get a good idea of how to find things. Click on the + signs Look around and get comfortable with the structure.
    This is how the registry works too. It uses Treeview. You Navigate using the left pane.
    If I want to find an entry in a path, I click the + in front of the first entry, then look for the next. Click the + in front of that and on and on until I reach my final destination. It's the same thing here.
    Get comfortable with that and post back when you are ready to find the entries and remove them.
    I am attaching a picture of the registry to give you a better idea of how this is going to work. This is a picture of one of the keys to look at.
    You'll see subkeys under Shell in the left Pane.
    Each of these represents an entry on my context menu. The three entries are
    Find
    Notepad
    Opennew

If I right click on one of these entries and choose delete from the menu which will pop out, that item will be removed from the context menu.
    There are a few other keys to have a look at, but I want you to get comfortable with this first. I did post them earlier.
    Here they are again:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shellex\ContextMenuHan
    dlers

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandle
    rs

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shellex\ContextMenuHandler
    s

Post back to let me know if you want to continue.

Mo

Attached Files:

8. hotskates

hotskates Thread Starter

Mosiac1,
    Thanks for offering to help me get the junk off of my hard drive.
    I carefully read your very generous instructions and am sorry to say I just couldn't find the files you mentioned. I am getting the feeling I just don't know enough about the innerworkings of this beast to be messing around in this area. I hate to give up, but, I don't want to end up with a problem worse than the one I already have, which isn't so bad. Just so you know, I did go to windows explorer and looked around in there (I have done this before just because I was curious) but couldn't find the HKEY..... that you mentioned. I know it's probably simple. I wish I could just go there like you did. I also couldn't find the registry editor that you sent me a copy of. I tried, but couldn't find it. Thanks again. I am going to keep reading the problems others have written about to the Tech Support Guy Forum and try to keep learning. It's kindof like going to computer school with all of the information given like people like you. Maybe someday I'll think this problem of mine was a piece of cake. But for now I'll just leave this one alone. If that's alright with you. Hotskates

9. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

hotskates,
    You won't find HKEY in Windows explorer. It isn't in there. I wanted you to practice opening files using treeview so that when you went into the registry you would be comfortable. I sent you a picture of my own registry opened to one of the keys we discussed. Don;t feel bad about not wanting to go in there. Many people don't. Take your time and see if later you want to try again. To open the registry editor you have to go to start>run and type regedit
    Then press enter. It will open. That's where you'll find HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT

I am attaching another picture for you.
    You navigate the registry the same as you do in Windows Explorer. Have a look around. Don't make any changes.

Attached Files:

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64623

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice