1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recycle Bin Icon Does Not Point To Recycle Bin Folder

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Kaycee3, Mar 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kaycee3

Kaycee3 Thread Starter

I had a problem deleting an older version of Firefox. The Firefox Setup .exe file was stuck in the Recycle Bin, it wouldn't delete and it wouldn't restore. Believing that the Recycle Bin was corrupt, I used this method from the DOS prompt:

rd /s /q C:\$Recycle.bin

I refreshed my Desktop and when I clicked on the Recycle Bin. While the file appeared to be missing, the Recycle Bin would not load properly so I restarted my computer.

Now when I click on the Recycle Bin icon, it points to my entire computer (exactly the same as clicking on "Computer" off the Start Menu) instead of the Recycle Bin folder.

How can I restore the Recycle Bin icon so that it shows only the contents of the Recycle Bin?

My gratitude to any and all who can help me.

2. huggie54

huggie54

hi,you should perform a System Restore back to a date before the problem began

3. Kaycee3

Kaycee3 Thread Starter

Thanks for your suggestion!

Because I have Windows 7, it doesn't routinely set restore points and so I didn't even try a System Restore. However, I had updated Java this week and the restore point from that still existed.

After the System Restore, I clicked on the Recycle Bin icon. The Recycle Bin showed the proper file and the contents from before were there as well. I emptied the Recycle Bin successfully! I thought for sure the problem file that I had before would be stuck there.

Ahhhh. The miracle of System Restore!

Thanks so much for your help. My saga is over.

Do you have suggestions on how to get System Restore to make ongoing restore points?

4. huggie54

huggie54

hey glad that's sorted.now right-click on My Computer and select properties,then click on the System Protection tab,put a tick in the box at the Windows 7 (C:) (System) line

5. Kaycee3

Kaycee3 Thread Starter

Thanks for the continued help!

My System Protection tab doesn't have the feature you described.

[​IMG]

6. huggie54

huggie54

your system is set for restore points,was thinking of Vista when sent you instructions-sorry about that.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1092481

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice