1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recycle Bin ICON gone AWOL

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by CastleHeart, Jun 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CastleHeart

CastleHeart Thread Starter

Some time back I had some RECYCLE BIN grief when two corrupt files decided never to go away. I've learned to live with it.

During that same time another strange occurence was secondary - my recycle bin icon never changed. It always stayed full. I attributed it to those two files and since I liked seeing an empty bin icon I went into the registry under:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E} under default icon and change them all to the empty icon.

And so slept sleeping beauty - until last week when a glitch cause my xpPC to take a dive. And when it came back, the recycle bin icon is now a folder icon with ...like a .... networking picture on it. (n) I check the registry in this location and found that the default icon settings are still intact. :eek:

So something else somewhere is causing it to display this new incorrect icon. Probably yet another anomaly that can't be fixed, but if someone has a clue ... I'm all ears !!!

- Castleheart

UPDATE: OK... a voice in my head (one of them) told me to try a theme to see if it changed. It did. So then i changed it back to my default which I save long ago and the EMPTY TRASH CAN returned. So far so good. But that means that my PC is setting the decktop recycle bin icon according to a theme somewhere and not the REGISTRY KEY which is default. Any one know where that information is stored so that I can see it and perhaps change it? Penny for your thoughts!

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

I was wondering about some system spec's on your system. One thing that might work and I do not know whether you have it already installed is Service Pack 2, whether you have it installed or not I would suggest either re-installing or installing it. It might just fix the recyclebin.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/473023

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice