1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recycle Bin = Memory Loss?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by stefkies, Jan 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stefkies

stefkies Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium , 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 250u Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 6 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3839 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 703013 MB, Free - 5521 MB; K: Total - 304573 MB, Free - 667 MB;
    Motherboard: eMachines, MCP61PM-GM, ,
    Antivirus: AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2011, Updated and Enabled
    I also use Malware Bytes

So I heard this site is one of the best- I hope so!

Over the past few days, I have been burning movies to free up hard drive space. Mainly to download more stuff, but that is not the point :) So far, I have burnt over 30 movies and deleted many other things- overall, I would give a low guess as 50G worth of stuff. I have download one album (Evolution Rap- it's awesome!), a handful of pictures and a few movies, probably totaling under 4G. But what happens every time I empty the recycle bin? I lose G's. If not immediately, then soon after. So now instead of ~50G free on my hard drive, I have 5G free, and that number keeps dropping. The topper is that I can't burn movies anymore because I don't have enough free space. Ironic much?

Anyways, I have done everything but System Restore, which I am not even sure would work.
    -I ran AVG and Malware Bytes (MB found 240 viruses, all deleted with no change to the Recycle Bin's functioning)
    -I tried re-setting the recycle bin using command prompt in administrator mode
    -I went to the hidden recycle.bin folder, saw it was 0 bytes, and deleted it anyways in case it was corrupted
    -I ran CCleaner
    -I ran disk defragmenter
    -I ran memory diagnostics
    -I have re-started my computer several times
    -I searched for duplicates of the files I deleted and did not find them
    -I used the "Free up space" tool

And now I am going out of my mind! :eek: If I knew less about computers, I am pretty sure I would go all Zoolander on my desktop and start hitting it with a bone.

Does anyone have any ideas? Because I do not. Any advice would be greatly appreciated- I assume it is the recycle bin, but it could just as well be something else. Thanks in advance!

2. valis

valis Moderator

where are you downloading from? There's a pretty healthy chance you inadvertently downloaded some malware along with your movies.

3. stefkies

stefkies Thread Starter

If I did download malware, how do I find it and delete it?

4. valis

valis Moderator

where did you download the movies from? We may end up moving this to malware.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Delete everything inside these 2 temp folders:

C:\WINDOWS\Temp

C:\Users\(Username)\AppData\Local\Temp

then empty the Recycle Bin, then restart.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Download and install

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.50.1.1100

SUPERAntiSpyware 4.47.0.1000

update their definition files, then run a quck scan, then select and remove everything they find, then restart if prompted to.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Get rid of

AVG 2011

and replace it with

Microsoft Security Essentials 2.0.657.0

You're lucky that AVG didn't trash your computer like it did to many others recently that use Windows 7(64-bit).

---------------------------------------------------------------

6. stefkies

stefkies Thread Starter

I just figured out a big piece of this mystery, and I hope it fixes it once and for all. There is a folder in C:/ called Allock Output (I have been burning the DVDs with Allock Video to DVD Burner) and that was filled with duplicates of the audio and video files I burned to DVD. That is why when I searched for duplicates no files showed up- because they were renamed something like "My DVD 1" and then two sub-folders of audio and video files were created within that folder. I now have 61G free- I am going to monitor that, and if it starts shrinking again after I clean out the Allock Output folder after I burn DVDs, I will be back.

7. stefkies

stefkies Thread Starter

Thanks for the great advice flavallee! I agree- the viruses on my computer could have wrecked it if I hadn't downloaded Malware Bytes. I happily deleted it and installed the Microsoft Security Essentials- that is not the first time I have heard that recommended, so I hope it does a better job than AVG. After doing a little exploring in my username/roaming/appdata folder, I now have 88G free because I found some partially completed downloads I was no longer interested in.

valais, there is a big red box at the top saying not to discuss where you download things from, so I am not going to say because I don't want my thread closed. Like I said, I already found 240 files infected with malware and deleted them. If there is other malware on my computer, I need to know how to find and get rid of it.

Upon continued inspection, my GB is still shrinking, but I am also burning a DVD with Allock, so I am going to wait until it finishes, empty the Allock Output folder, restart, run the two new anti-virus/spyware programs I just downloaded, and then see if it continues. Thank you so much for your help!

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Microsoft Security Essentials 2.0.657.0 has "real time" monitoring for viruses and malware.

The free version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.50.1.1100 and SUPERAntiSpyware 4.47.0.1000 don't have "real time" monitoring, so you need to manually start them and do a scan with them - after you first update their definition files.

Considering what your downloading and browsing habits are, I strongly recommend putting MBAM and SAS to use at least once a week.

----------------------------------------------------------------

9. stefkies

stefkies Thread Starter

OK, I did all that stuff I wrote about in my last post and my GB are no longer shrinking. I am up to 90GB and growing with every movie I burn! In case anyone else has this same problem with Allock, the best solution I could come up with for now is to create a shortcut to the AllockOutput folder on the desktop and empty it out periodically. flavalleele, thanks again for the great advice! Windows Security Essentials found an additional trojan and SuperAntiSpyware found 35 adware cookies, which are all deleted now. I'm going to add MB and SAS to my quick launch menu so I remember to run them. I am going to recommend those programs to all of my family members! :D Thanks so much!

10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You're welcome. :) (y)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!