1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recycle Bin shows something in it, but when opened, nothing shows there, but....?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by joeAgain------, Jul 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. joeAgain------

joeAgain------ Thread Starter

When I chose to Empty Recycle Bin, 2 popups appear on my screen. One(normal popup) asks if I want to delete the 2 items in it (but again when I open bin, it is empty!?)

When I click "Yes" to that question, the 2nd popup comes up say, "Can not delete Dd5: Access is denied".

What the heck do I have to do to empty my recycle bin of those unknown entities? And have the icon show it as empty again.

2. Augie65

Augie65

For NTFS file system.

Start> Run> type: cmd then hit OK.
    At command prompt, type:

rd /s c:\recycler then hit Enter.
    This assumes c: is your root drive

Confirm the prompt to delete the folder and all its sub folders.
    Reboot and save a file to the bin and check it out.

3. bicycle bill

bicycle bill Banned

Hey Augie. I have the same problem with a machine running 98. Is there a similar routine to use with it?

4. ODIN 0ERO

ODIN 0ERO Guest

try using system restore.

5. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Let's find out if the computer is infected.

To download HJTsetup.exe To Download HijackThis go to the following: http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item5
    Filename = 1137518044HJTsetup.exe
    Save the file to your desktop.
    Double click on the HJTsetup.exe icon on your desktop.
    By default it will install to C:\Program Files\HijackThis.
    Continue to click Next in the setup dialog boxes until you get to the Select Additional Tasks dialog.
    Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again.
    Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.
    At the final dialog box click Finish and it will launch Hijack This.
    Click on the Do a system scan and save a log file button. It will scan and then ask you to save the log.
    Click Save to save the log file and then the log will open in notepad.
    At the top of the Notepad HJT log screen, hit Edit then Select All then click Edit and then click Copy doing that copies the text to the clipboard, you won't see it yet....
    Open a TechSupportGuy forum Reply window for this thread, to have ready to paste the Hijackthis log into. Click once to place the typing cursor in the reply window.
    At the top of your TSG/browser window, hit Edit then Paste
    You should see your copied Hijackthis log appear in the reply space....then, submit the reply
    DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

6. Augie65

Augie65

bicycle bill,
    For windows 98 try this:
    Restart the computer and then press and hold the ctrl key to access the Windows options menu. Choose Command prompt and at the c: prompt enter:
    deltree c:\recycled then hit Enter
    accept the prompt to delete, exit and reboot the computer.
    See if the recycle bin works now.

7. bicycle bill

bicycle bill Banned

THe bin works ok now. Thank you Augie for the fix. I have had a fool ghost file for a long time. Could not find it anywhere on the PC but was told it could not be deleted.

8. Augie65

Augie65

You are welcome. :) Glad you got it fixed.

9. joeAgain------

Sorry to take so long getting back to all you kind helpful people.

But my "problem" seems to have been fixed in deleted the mystery files that showed ito exist in the recycle bin icom, but not when I opened it to see what they were...by my repeated use of a free program I use to "clean" my computrer every time I shut it down for the last few nights.

It's called "System Security Suite 1.04".
    It took care of those lingering mystery files after a few evenings of shutting the systen down.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I hope the other posts and solutions helped others.

I originally got the free utility from a good friend in Swegen at:

http://www.igorshpak.net/

thank you all

10. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

One reason that ghost files show up in the recycle bin is removable drives. If there are files in their recycle bin, then you disconnect them, you'll get the ghost until you reboot or you connect the drive and empty the recycle bin.

11. joeAgain------

Thanks JohnWill,
    I do have an external HD, but didn't remember deleting anything on it(I might have though).

And I'm using it as only a "storage drive". There are no programs, or any OS on it....how/where would it's recycle bin be found, so I could clear/empty it. I don't ever remember seeing one for it...only the many, many files that I store there.

Where is it?

12. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You just connect it up, and then use the recycle bin on the desktop to empty it. They're all slaved to that function. :)

13. joeAgain------

that makes sense...I knew the other onboard hard drives OS were, but not the external HD.

OK, thank you. I'll try that when it happens again.
    (I though I had some malware or pesky trojan lurking that wouldn't let me get rid of them.)

Thanks, friend

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485652

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice