1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recycle Bin Will Not Empty

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by chalky, Feb 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chalky

chalky Thread Starter

For some reason I cannot empty this bin, even when I right click on single items they still will not delete. I recently installed and used jv16 Power Tools, really messed things up, had to restore mmsystem.dll file that went missing, still wouldn't boot so used scanreg/restore on boot, all seems to be ok except for this.
    HP Pav 8670 running Windows 98se.
    any help appreciated.
    Cheers
    Chalky

2. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Shutdown > Restart to Dos
    At the prompt, enter

Deltree C:\Recycled

EXIT to Restart to Windows

3. chalky

chalky Thread Starter

Hi There,
    I did that just after posting for help, found the suggestion whilst searching, outcome was it rebooted and the screen came up looking as if it was in safe mode only it wasn't, all my control was gone, no mouse or sound, by the time I finished trying to reboot to a previous start up the only choice I had was one in 99, original start up. I had tried using a start up disk only I couldn't get past system transferred, couldn't find what to do after that when I got the A:\> prompt, Ididn't know what to put in. nearly three hours later I've managed to get back on the net so, HELP,
    can I get things back to normal without having to do a full restore, it's a two day job and i've got the screaming heebjees already. Even Tech Guys web pages are grey and covered with dotted lines.

HP Pav 8670 running Windows 98se.
    Regards
    Chalky

4. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

You either install "things" into the Recyled folder (unlikely), OR you Deltree'ed something other than the Recycled folder (??).

Using Deltree to delete the Recycle bin will not cause any of the symptoms that you are mentioning.

So, you are now back.

Is the only issue the "graphics"?

If you right mouse on the desktop > properties, are the settings correct?

From Control Panel > System, are there any device problems?

5. chalky

chalky Thread Starter

Hi again,
    Heres what I found and followed, until then things seemed to be all ok. Everythings gone to pot now so I shall have to reformat. One things for sure I'll not venture anywhere near the registry in the future, even with a supposedly sensitive cleaner, I can't load any pages on the Windows site so downloading new files are out. On reboot I'm getting VSHINIT. VXD is missing then theres mmsystem.dll goodness knows what else.
    I did try rebooting from a start up disk, but when I got to the system transferred message then the A:\> prompt I didn't know what to put in, I tried sys c: then d: and everything else I could think of, nothing worked, I couldn't work out how to exit out of the mode without restarting, even typing Exit didn't work. I guess I'm the step by step type silver surfer.
    Cheers anyway
    Regards
    Chalky

Rollin' Rog

North of Hollywoodland
    Joined Dec 2000
    11625 Posts

(IP)
    (01-24-2003 02:24 AM) report / quote / edit (#17)

Let me understand what you want here better. At first I thought you wanted to restore items from the recycle bin; but then I saw that you had emptied it and they are still showing. This is likely to be bug and they are really not there. Even if they are it would be difficult to restore them.

However if you just want to completely empty the bin and recover the lost space that it is erroneously claiming, scanreg /restore will never do that. The bin must be deleted in DOS. To do that return to the "startup menu" and select "command prompt" again. At the c:> prompt enter:

deltree recycled

press 'y' and enter when prompted.

ctrl-alt-del to reboot.

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Chalky, have you tried resetting your Display settings?

It sounds like when you rebooted you went back to an older registry. If this happened, it was not because of the deltree recycled command. I assume you ran it from the DOS command prompt reached by booting to the startup menu and then selecting command prompt (not from the DOS box command prompt on the Start Button > Programs Menu). Even then, it simply wouldn't have worked. If you got a prompt to deltree the recycled folder, then you were in the right place.

For the vshinit.vxd error, see this:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=280135

For others, give us the exact error messages.

But first, what registry dates are available when you restart in MS-DOS mode and enter

scanreg /restore

To cancel out after you run that, just hit 'c' for cancel then enter for 'ok'. If you restore one, choose one that just predates the current problem. It can be the morning of the same day.

Do a ctrl-alt-del after you return to the c:\windows> prompt

I'm not sure what you are saying here:

Unless you modified the scanreg.ini file there should be only 5 recent registries to restore from, only the first 4 of which are normally restorable.

If you do a Find Files for rb*

how many rb.....cab files show up?

7. chalky

chalky Thread Starter

Hi There again,
    If it hadn't been for you guys out there i'd still be searching for answers or paying for support over the phone. Because of all the searches I've been able to do on this website and with your answers to other peoples problems, I found the bootlog file .
    Terminate = Drivers was repeated a few times. As I have had the same problems as in the above posts after I did a reformat, nothing else loaded, just basic machine- the 99 was 1999, under that I had three same day dates, all not started. Why such a previous reg date kept I don't know. Anyhow, I have a service contract, complete waste of time on the phone, if I had not had all the info from your pages I would not have been able to be so insistant that it was not a software problem, - they were trying to get me to ring their software helpline, loads of money per min. - and made them do a bit more research at their end to tell me they thought it was most probably memory and offer to fit a new motherboard. They come tomorrow, Sooooowwww, Thankyou.
    Regards
    Chalky

Can you tell me what this error message points to, I,ve searched but cannot find it. Fatal Exception OD 1C77:00000199
    I keep getting this on shutdown. Would this be memory.

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

You certainly don't want to restore registries as old as that. In all likelyhood they were created by manually running scanregw and having it make a backup at one time. Those manually created registries get listed as "not started". The reason you are not getting the normal daily backups would probably be because you do not have an entry for ScanRegistry in msconfig > startups. Or if one is present, it has been unchecked. Run msconfig and click on the startup tab to see what is there.

I don't think you copied the error message precisely, but even so it is rarely possible to trace the numbers to a particular application. Troubleshooting is usually a trial and error method. Many shutdown problems come from having antivirus tools doing scans at shutdown.

In msconfig, on the 'advanced' tab, you will also see an option for 'disable fast shutdown'. I would recommend checking this. With Win98SE, there is also a shutdown patch which should be installed. If it is installed, then 'disable fast shutdown' will not be available in msconfig.

Msconfig can be used as a troubleshooting tool to selectively disable startups and then test to see if the shutdown problem is resolved.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;202633

It may help us to diagnose this and other problems if you give us a post of your Startuplist (not scan log) following the instructions here:

http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/

This should be done before disabling anything in msconfig.

I'm not sure if what you are seeing in the bootlog is significant. First, you must run a fresh logged boot for it to be current. Second, it is usually just the last few lines that are significant.

9. chalky

chalky Thread Starter

Hi Reg,
    Am I missing something from start up. Also how do I run a fresh logged boot. Do I just reboot. Sorry if I seem a bit slow but I'm learning all the time I connect to your pages.
    Cheers
    Chalky

ScanRegistry Registry (Machine Run) c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun
    SystemTray Registry (Machine Run) SysTray.Exe
    LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Run) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    Adaptec DirectCD Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\DirectCD\DIRECTCD.EXE
    AVG_CC Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVG6\avgcc32.exe /STARTUP
    LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Service) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    Avgserv9.exe Registry (Machine Service) C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVG6\Avgserv9.exe
    Keyboard Manager Registry (Machine Service) C:\Program Files\Netropa\One-touch Multimedia Keyboard\MMKeybd.exe

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Well, it looks like all the basics are there, including ScanRegistry, so if that is checked, you should be getting automatic daily backups of your registry. They should say 'started' when you view them using scanreg /restore. One way to verify if new backups are being created with out running scanreg /restore is to do a file search for:

rb*

you should see numbered rb....cab files in the sysbckup folder. Check the dates of these to see if new ones are being created.

AVG may be a source of the shutdown problem, depending on how it is configured.

Adaptec's Direct CD really should be kept disabled and only run from the Start>Programs menu when you need it.

>> to run a new logged boot you must enable the startup menu when booting. Press and hold the ctrl key. Then choose the 'logged boot' option.

11. chalky

chalky Thread Starter

Thanks, You are ALL BRILLIANT.
    Chalky

12. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

We'll concur if we actually help you solve something ;)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119205

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice