1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

recycle bin wont delete

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by turco, Apr 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. turco

turco Thread Starter

i had sent a file that i didnt need anymore to the recycle bin and this message pops up that says "Are you sure you want to delete 'WINDOWS'?". i clicked yes and then this message popped up
    "Cannot Delete DC1:Access is denied.
    Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use."

what should i do?

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

Turco
    When the file appears in recycle bin right click it and select restore. Then do a search for the file if you do not know where it was restored too. Once found try renaming the file to some other format. If it is DC1.svl then rename it DC1.old
    Windows may nag you about changing the format but say OK.
    Once changed Delete it and then try deleting it from Recycle bin.
    You could also try holding the shift key down when you delete the restore file to see if you can delete bypassing the recycle bin.

Dave

3. turco

turco Thread Starter

i tried to do that but the file doesnt show up in the recycle bin, it looks like theres nothing there.

4. Davey7549

Davey7549

Turco
    Do you have Norton Protected Recycle Bin?
    If so Try cleaning that bin.

Also how do you know this file is listed in the bin if you do not see it or is it still in its original location?

Dave

5. turco

turco Thread Starter

i dont have norton, but i have mcafee.

and i dont know if its still there or not, but ive tried to empty it several times and it still gives me the same message.

6. turco

turco Thread Starter

the recycle bin is now showing the name of the file im trying to delete but the same message keeps popping up

Attached Files:

• 123.JPG
      123.JPG
      File size:
      12.1 KB
      Views:
  7. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

The "Dxn" is the native format of deleted items.
    D - Deleted
    x - Drive letter
    n - Number

When you start seeing these from a Windows screen, the bin is corrupted.

Restart to DOS and enter

DELTREE c:\Recycled

Respond Y when asked to confirm

Restart to windows and the bin will be recreated

8. turco

turco Thread Starter

i ran hijack this and this is my log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
    Scan saved at 2:17:29 PM, on 4/25/2004
    Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee VirusScan\Avsynmgr.exe
    C:\Program Files\Ontrack\Internet Cleanup\icserv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ZONELABS\vsmon.exe
    C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee VirusScan\VsStat.exe
    C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee VirusScan\Avconsol.exe
    C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee VirusScan\Webscanx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\LEXMAR~1\ACMonitor_X73.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\LEXMAR~1\AcBtnMgr_X73.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
    C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCD.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\ZONELA~1\ZONEAL~1\zlclient.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\dompdnrw.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\wjview.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\lexpps.exe
    C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
    C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee VirusScan\AlogServ.exe
    C:\Program Files\EbatesMoeMoneyMaker\EbatesMoeMoneyMaker.exe
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop\tariqs folder\hijack this\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://search.hpwis.com/
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://www.eznsearch.com
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.rr.com
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://search.hpwis.com/
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch = res://C:\PROGRA~1\Toolbar\toolbar.dll/sa
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by Roadrunner
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = ;localhost;<local>
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\blank.htm
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,SearchAssistant = http://www.websearch.com/ie.aspx?tb_id=50032
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,CustomizeSearch = res://C:\PROGRA~1\Toolbar\toolbar.dll/sa
    R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - _{8952A998-1E7E-4716-B23D-3DBE03910972} - (no file)
    O1 - Hosts: auto.search.msn.com
    O1 - Hosts: search.netscape.com
    O1 - Hosts: ieautosearch
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {22F964F2-2FC4-4803-BA3E-371D67985D1E} - C:\WINDOWS\opofzdzlb.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
    O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {71ED4FBA-4024-4bbe-91DC-9704C93F453E} - (no file)
    O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Update Detection] C:\Program Files\Microsoft Works\WkDetect.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Lexmark X73 Button Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\LEXMAR~1\ACMonitor_X73.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Lexmark X73 Button Manager] C:\PROGRA~1\LEXMAR~1\AcBtnMgr_X73.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PrinTray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\printray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [slmss] C:\Program Files\Common Files\slmss\slmss.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WebInstall2] C:\Documents and Settings\death sticks\WebInstall.exe /R
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [InCD] C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCD.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] C:\PROGRA~1\ZONELA~1\ZONEAL~1\zlclient.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [azqzxid] C:\WINDOWS\dompdnrw.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [HcTSC] C:\WINDOWS\TSC.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [Ad-aware] "C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-aware 6\Ad-aware.exe" "+b1"
    O4 - Global Startup: Image Transfer.lnk = ?
    O4 - Global Startup: HotSync Manager.lnk = C:\Program Files\Sony Handheld\HOTSYNC.EXE
    O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsearch.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward &Links - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmbacklinks.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Cac&hed Snapshot of Page - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmcache.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Si&milar Pages - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsimilar.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmtrans.html
    O9 - Extra button: AIM (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Messenger (HKLM)
    O16 - DPF: {02BF25D5-8C17-4B23-BC80-D3488ABDDC6B} (QuickTime Object) - http://www.apple.com/qtactivex/qtplugin.cab
    O16 - DPF: {41F17733-B041-4099-A042-B518BB6A408C} - http://a1540.g.akamai.net/7/1540/52...pple.com/borris/us/win/QuickTimeInstaller.exe
    O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004033001/housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/xscan53.cab
    O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab
    O16 - DPF: {E0CE16CB-741C-4B24-8D04-A817856E07F4} - http://cabs.roings.com/cabs/chedownzip.cab

i dont know why i ran this but i am trying to do anything that can fix this problem.

9. turco

turco Thread Starter

oops sorry i didnt see your post until i posted this log thank you.

10. Davey7549

Davey7549

Thanks Phil
    I didn't know that so I learned something new today.
    Hopefully that will help Turco.

Dave

11. turco

turco Thread Starter

i put "deltree c:\Recycled" and it said "deltree is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file"

12. turco

turco Thread Starter

the command on my computer for deleting is del. but the folder Recycle cant be found.

13. turco

turco Thread Starter

ok now problem is fixed thanx

14. hiphopbiter

hiphopbiter

Hi, i have the exact same problem you had. Just wondered how you solved it cosim finding it difficuilt to solve>

15. Augie65

Augie65

Open a command prompt start > run: and at the prompt type and enter:

For NTFS:

rd /s c:\recycler then Enter

For FAT32

rd /s c:\recycled then Enter

Confirm the prompt to delete the folder and all its sub folders.

Reboot

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!