1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Recycling Bin GONE....HELP ME PLEASE PLEASE!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ItalianRacer, Apr 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ItalianRacer

ItalianRacer Thread Starter

I accidently deleted my recycling bin full of my important files, and I REALLY need to get it back.

So, when I try to restore it, I get this screen:

http://i39.tinypic.com/2w3ry1w.jpg

As you can see, it says it is "full" but it does not have any option to restore it or view the files within it.

As my bad luck goes on, I am also not the administor on the computer, and I most likely can't get the password to become administor as it is my school's laptop. :(

Please tell me there is a way to save my files as the are important for my final exams.

Thanks!

2. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

3. IsolatedSnail

IsolatedSnail

It sounds like you've actually emptied your recycle bin full of files and are trying to recover the deleted files. Is that correct?

If so, I recommend Recuva. It is a data recovery program but it isn't too user friendly and requires a little getting used to. You can try to run Recuva which can be downloaded for free at their website, www.recuva.com, and try to restore the files using that. It may not work without administrator privileges. If that won't run without administrator privileges try asking your school tech guys to give you a hand.

4. crdave

crdave

Looks like your recycle bin is corrupted. I found this fix at another site so use it at yourt own risk!

================================
    Here's how to fix a corrupted Recycle Bin in Windows XP...

First, set your Recycle Bin to configure drives independently, then, from a Command Prompt, type in...
    *cd /d c:\ (enter)
    %SystemRoot%\system32\attrib -r -h -s recycler (enter)
    rmdir /s recycler (enter)
    When asked "Are you sure?" type y (enter)*
    Repeat for all hard drives on your system, ie, for D drive...
    cd /d d:\ (enter)
    %SystemRoot%\system32\attrib -r -h -s recycler (enter)
    rmdir /s recycler (enter)
    When asked "Are you sure?" type y (enter)
    Once you've gone through all your hard drives, reset Recycle Bin to configure drives globally (optional).
    *Send a junk file to your (non-existant) Recycle Bin and delete it (the junk file). This will cause Windows XP to recreate your Recycle Bin(s), minus the corruption*
    ================================

PS. To set your recycle bin to o configure drives independently, right click on the recycle bin and then click Properties. That options should then show up.

PSS. The get to the command prompt, Start, Run, cmd, [Enter]

Also, why are you putting important files in your recycle bin? The icon looks like a trash can for a reason. You're supposed to put files you don't want in the "trash." ;)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920328

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice