Recycling old cpu

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

crsaj

I have an old Gateway I would like to donate or dump. Currently the monitor does not come on during bootup. I would like to remove any personal informaton on the hard drive. Can this be done without seeing what needs to be removed. Or, is there something I can do to get the monitor working. The green light comes on and then changes to orange as though its in sleep mode. Welcome all suggestions.

crjdriver

If you just want to delete info on the drive, pull the drive and slave it to the system you are using now. Run a wiping app like paragon disk wiper on the drive. You can select the type of wipe you want to do ie DoD, NSA, etc.
Note there are numerous free apps to do this such as killdisk DBAN, etc. These are available from many sites; do a google search.

Since the monitor doesn't come on, you are going to need to get that working before you are going to be able to wipe the drive. Either the monitor or video card needs to be replaced. I would try a working monitor first since it doesn't require you to open the computer

Another option is to take out the drive, put it in another computer and use software that erases the drive.

Another option is to take out the drive, open it up, and physically bend, scratch and destroy as much as you can.

DoubleHelix

Banned
Not many places accept used computers because they are very often old, do not come with operating system and software disks or licenses, and simply do not meet the needs of the organization.

If you want to dump it, you'll need to contact your local municipality to find out how to dispose of computer waste. Most likely you will have to pay a fee.

If you want to make sure that none of your personal information can be accessed, you either need to connect the hard drive to another computer and run a DOD (Department of Defense) wipe or physically destroy the platters.

Yes, you will certainly need to do something like check the phone book for a pc recycle place. Some charge a minimal fee like $5. Some do it for free.

First unplug your pc, Then take the side off the case. Unscrew the monitor cord off the video card. Pull the card out. Replace the card, replace the cord, and plug and boot. It should work. If not, Repete the steps, except when everything is out pull out your battery for a few mins. then hook everything back up. It should work. If your going to get a new pc, You don't have to trash your hard drive, Just unplug it, remove the cords, and on the back of the hard drive there is a set of pins with a plastic thing connecting two pins, (Maybe). Some dont have this "JUMPER". Somewhere on the drive is should say CS SL MS, Pull the "Jumper" off if its set to MS or master, You want it to be SL (slave) or CS, (Cable Select). Then just find a open IDE cable on your new PC, and plug in the drive to it. plug in the power, and boot up your new pc, It should have a new "D:\ drive," If not search for the name of the drive, and jumper settings on google, Mine is a Maxtor, so I would search Maxtor Jumper settings on google, It should say how to set up your jumper on the back of the drive.

1 Make sure you turn off the pc and unplug before removing the side, Hold on to the side of the case when touching the computer components, so you dont shock the board with static.

2, there are three sets of pins on the back of the hard drive, the one with lots of pins is the IDE pins, The one with 4 larger pins is for the power, and the last would be the "Jumper pins". its not that hard to do, I taught my 4 year old son to completely take apart a old P2, that I have and reinstall everything. He loves taking it apart and putting it back together...

3, If ya get stuck thats what were here for..

4, The only way to truely distroy the data would be to smash it with a hammer.. or get creative, and take it apart, then smash it...

5 Its only hard if you think its hard... And unless you shock it your not going to make any perminant mistakes....

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online