Red Alert 2 over a LAN

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Liger

How do i set up red alert 2 so that i can play multiplayer games with my brother?

I have installed the IPX protocol on both computers (mine - XP, brother's - 2k).
Bath have a network number 00000000 and both have the frame type set to auto. I think this is right.

Can someone tell me if this is right and what i now need to do in RA2.

Thanx
Liger

If both computers recognize one another then you should be set. I think the option for LAN play is under multiplayer, and it should be straight foward. One computer will host, and the other should detect the game if they recognize one another. If not, then you'll have to get that working.

Couriant

James
RA2 uses the IPX/SPX protocol to network over a Local Area Network (LAN). Make sure this protocol is loaded on each machine in your network. To check if the protocol is loaded in Win95/98/ME, click on [Start], then "Settings", and "Control Panel". From the Control Panel, open the "Network" icon.

Check to see if IPX/SPX for your network card is listed anywhere in the Network Components. If not, click on [Add] , select "Protocol", then "Microsoft"-"IPX/SPX".

Once the protocol is loaded, launch the game on each machine and select "Network" from the main menu. You will be taken to a general game lobby where you can chat with the other machines on the LAN and create/join games.

Note: Windows NT/2000/XP may not be able to network with Win95/98/ME machines. This is due to an incompatible IPX/SPX protocol between the different operating systems. If you have an NT/2000/XP machine, you may want to try adding the NWLink IPX/SPX Compatible Transport to network with 95/98/ME machines.

Windows 2000/Windows XP Users: If you are using Win2k/Windows XP, you will need to make sure the IPX protocol has a generic IP address assigned to it: 00.00.00.00

Windows XP:

1) From the desktop Right click on My Network Places Icon.
2) From the dropdown select properties.
3) Right click on the Network card you would like to use under LAN or High-Speed Internet.
4) From the dropdown select properties.
5) Check to see if IPX/SPX for your network card is listed anywhere in the Network Components. If not, click on [Install] , select "Protocol", click Add then double click on "Microsoft"-"IPX/SPX".
6) Select IPX/SPX and click on Properties
7) Change Frame type to Ethernet 802.3 & click ok.
8) Select Close to now close the Local Area Connection Properties window.
9) Once the IPX/SPX protocol is loaded, launch the game on each machine and select "Network" from the main menu. You will be taken to a general game lobby where you can chat with the other machines on the LAN and create/join games.
If you had to install the patch for Windows XP, the LAN function would be disabled.

Liger

Thanx guys
I can now play in multiplayer without any problems.

Thanx again
Liger

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online