Red alert 2 problems

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Firestrider

I have the problem when I try to run the game, it runs like normal, switches to a black screen then boots me back to the desktop. I've tried reinstalling just Red Alert 2 without the expansion many times. Then I tried installing it at a friend's house and it worked there so I know its not a problem with the disk.
I have all the lastest drivers for my video card, and motherboard and have DirectX 9.0c. I've tried running it in compatibility on Windows NT4 SP5, 98 and 95, still wouldn't work. Any suggestions?

Possibly you are out of physical memory? How much do you have? Also, how much hard drive space do you have left?

Firestrider

I have 12 GB left on a 34 GB raptor, also have a blank 80 GB hard drive.
Physical memory as in RAM? I have 512mb max. I'm running Windows XP with no Service pack.

Thanks for replies

Couriant

James
I have seen issues where getting SP1 will solve them . You can get SP1 from microsoft.com

Firestrider

Well I don't exactly have a legit version of Windows XP so I can't get SP1 or SP2, and my friend has the same Windows XP as me (No SP1 or SP2), but Red Alert 2 worked on his computer.

Thanks for reply.

Couriant

James
Maybe thats the reason then :)

You should be able to download it manually.

Wait is RA2 also not exactly legit too?

Firestrider

No, I bought it legit and it came with C&C Renegade, Tiberian Sun, Firestorm, RA2, and RA2 Yuri's Revenge a $20 package.

What do you mean download it manually?

Couriant

James
You can download the Service Pack 1 setup manually, as in not using Windows Update.

I'm sure you can find it on MS site, or there should be a link on TSG somewhere.

Firestrider

Oh ya I've tried that, when installing it verifies my serial code or something and says its invalid or something so it won't completely install

I have teh same red alert splash screen, then black, then kick back to desktop problem. It installs fine and i know the disc is fine because iv installed it on a my old pc and it played. Im currently running a p4 3Ghz, 1 gig ram, 128mb radeon graphics and sound blaster sound card with 80+gig space on Win XP. Iv tried running it in all compatabilities, through different shortcuts, directly off the disc, reducing my resolution and colours, reducing my sound and shouting profanities at the screen, all of which to no avail. I refuse to update to sp2 because it sucks. The strangest thing is that when i run the Electronic Arts spec program it states that my processor is running at MINUS (-) 1300+ Mhz and that in the p2 or higher box, my p4 isnt even recognised, it comes up with a blank space. Wierdly, Tib Sun runs perfectly, even under my default settings (hardware accel to full). Can anyone possibly shine any kind of light, of any colour, on this problem?

Couriant

James
Welcome to the club of RA2 Annoyed Anonymous.

There are definatley some issue with RA2 and Windows XP. The EA tool is not good to use, because it was made so long ago it won't know what a P4 is. The way I got RA2 to work is by installing RA2 in W2K compatibility. (as in go into the CD and change the SETUP.EXE file to W2K compatibilty). Then I did the autoupdate. Then it worked without any issues. But Yuri could not install. I haven't tried it on my new machine (i will do this tonight) so I will see if I can find anything that could fix this.

u have to right click on every single one of these... yuri.exe, ra2md.exe, gamemd.exe, ra2.exe, and game.exe....and click compatibility for each one and select windows 98..or windos 2000..
it will work for sure firestrider....

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online