Red Alert 2 will not run!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Kyriakos

Name: Kyriakos
Date: January 04, 2006 at 06:49:36 Pacific
Subject: Red Alert 2 will not run!
CPU/Ram: 3.00GHz/512 RAM
System Manufacturer: Microsoft
Comment:

I have Red Alert 2 ,and i am running on WinXP pro.Whenever i try running Ra2.exe i see a black screen and then bounce back to windows.
My machine is decent,and can handle 3d games just fine.I can play 3d games for hours without a problem. i am having an NVIDIA Ge-force FX 5700LE.I also installed Win 2000 to run along with Xp and tried running the game with the win2000,which Red Alert seems to be compatible,but still the same problem.What should i do?

Note that i tried the same game under my brothers computer and the game worked fine! no black screens!
i also tried running it through win 2000,again on my computer and still the same result, i also downloaded some new drivers from NVIDIA ,but still the same thing
i tried disabling my graphics card and it did'nt work,what do i have to do?

i repeat , i have a graphics card, NVIDIA Geforce FX5700LE

i desperatedly need your help

Update to the latest version. I found the last patch at this link http://www.download.com/Command-Conquer-Red-Alert-2-1-006-patch/3000-7488_4-10236245.html

Go to the games install folder and change the .exe of the game to Windows 98 compatibility (Right click the file and select the compatibility tab and then select windows 98 then apply)

Also change any shortcut links on your desktop that the game makes.

The game should run.
Failing that scan your computer for any spyware and viruses.

Hope this helps

Nurdle

Couriant

James
i take it you haven't seen the other countless threads about this huh? ;) It wasn't intended for XP, EA Lames never updated to support XP. It's a hit and miss really.

Kyriakos

Well my brother can play that game...DANG ITS GOOD!
He has XP, and also he has service pack 2.Could it be i will need service pack 2?

Couriant

James
Usually SP2 is the main cause.

From what I have seen in other threads there are multiple solutions. Compatibilty Tab is one, install in safe mode is another.

Kyriakos

Oh yes problem solved! SP 2 fixed some compability issues,thats why the compability solution would'nt work , thank you

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online