1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Red and green lights on computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by scary bob, Aug 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scary bob

scary bob Thread Starter

Aug 3, 2004
    I didn't know where else I should post this so I''l post it here.

On the front of my computer (tower) beside the power button there is a clear colored reset button and two lights. One of the lights is always lit green and the other one is usually off but it sometimes flashes red or stays solid red when I put in a CD or am playing a game on CD (ex. Call of Duty).

My questions are:

What is the purpose of these red and green lights on the front of my tower?

What does it mean when the red light flashes or stays lit solid?

Should I be concerned?
  2. shadowcat

Oct 18, 2003
    Hello and welcome to TSG!

The red light means that your hard drive is "working" (seeking information, etc.) So, it will flash during the periods that the hard drive seeks/writes information. If it stays on all the time, then I'd be concerned...

The green light means that your computer is on and it's supposed to stay lit while the computer is on.
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/257678