1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

red cross in left hand corner ?????????

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by worf51, Nov 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. worf51

worf51 Thread Starter

hi guys,hope someone can lend a hand,well as i don`t have any time at night to watch the news on tv,i often catch up on local & overseas news on the net,sometimes they have video clips concerning personalities or whatever & when i click to watch them i get a blank square with a tiny red cross at top left hand corner,very puzzling also happens on some websites,thanks to anyone who can suggest a cure for this problem ????????

2. Flags

Flags

Try this: Go to Internet Options.>Advanced tab, scroll down and put a checkmark in Show pictures and in Play animations in webpages.

3. worf51

worf51 Thread Starter

hi flags,i checked what you advised & it was already checked,alas i still have a problem,so thank you anyway for your trouble ........

4. Flags

Flags

Have you installed Adobe Flash Player or some other player on your machine?
    Usually you get a warning that a certain player must be installed to play the videos on a site.
    Another thing, you may have Security settings set so that you cannot display animations from a web site.

5. DJS615

DJS615

If you dont have the lasted Flash player version I'd suggest downloading it. Also delete your cookies and that might help. Also what browser do you use?

6. worf51

worf51 Thread Starter

hi flags, no i don`t have adobe flash player installed on my pc,i will look into it,thanks so much again for your reply

7. Sara1

Sara1

Hi,

I've been having the same problem; the video is not playing and instead, there's a red cross on the top left corner. However, some of the videos HAVE worked while a few aren't. Any suggestions as to why?

Thank-you.

8. sophia22

sophia22

make sure you have adobe flash player installed...you can go here www.adobe.com

9. Sara1

Sara1

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion but I do have Adobe installed. The problem is that I can watch some of the videos which are in the same format (e.g. on Putfile) as those that I can't watch.

Can't figure out what the problem is.

10. worf51

worf51 Thread Starter

i completely understand your situation,i too have installed adobe flash player & am still having problems viewing certain websites,not to mention that annoying RED cross, any suggestions please guys would be ever so less stressfull !!!!!!!!!!! thankyou

11. sophia22

sophia22

I saw your thread in the India Calling forums that you were having problems viewing some of the videos. I think that I know what the cause is.

Some videos require the windows media player plug in while the others required flash player.

If you have firefox, go here and install the Windows media player plugin. You should be able to play the videos.

This doesn't mean that you can play every video in the world. Here are most common ones found and the program you should download to play it.

- Adobe Flash player: go to adobe.com
    - Windows media player: go to the link I gave you.
    - Shockwave player: go to adobe.com
    - Quicktime player: Go here
    - Real player: go here and download Real alternative lite. Make sure that you doenload the lite one.

Well, now you should be able to play almost every video on the net.

Windows Media player plugin for Internet Explorer is already present. To check, Open Internet explorer, Click on Tools and then Internet options. On top, click on programs and then Manage Addons. Check if WIndows Media Player is in there and is enabled. You can also check for other players like flash etc. in there. Make sure that the ones you want are enabled.

For Windows Media Player plugin for other browsers, use google (e.g Windows Media player plugin for Opera)

Good luck and ask me if you have any problems.

12. sophia22

sophia22

ALL videos on putfile are not in the same format. It depends on the person who uploaded the video.

Well, good luvk and have fun. :D

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/651574

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice