1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Red Hat 9

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by tushkahoma, Oct 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tushkahoma

tushkahoma Thread Starter

I just downloaded and installed Red Hat 9 to give it a try and my question is...
    Is Red Hat a free program? It has a lot of features like the Open Office and so on. What's the catch.

2. codejockey

codejockey

No catch. What you downloaded is, in fact, free. It wouldn't hurt, though, to donate to the folks who made your download possible (www.linuxiso.org, for example). Use, learn and enjoy.

3. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

It is licenced under the GPL or the Gnu Public Licence. I wouldnt recommend reading the wholle thing, but skimming it will give you alot if insigt into the way it works.

http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html

Read the FAQ, or if you can find it read the GNU manifesto. Quite an interesting introduction to the GPL and opensource in general.

4. tushkahoma

tushkahoma Thread Starter

Thank you for the reply's
    I look forward to exploring all that Linux has to offer. I used to be a die hard Windows man but I really like the Red Hat. Maybe because it is a new learning experience.

5. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

I'f you are anything like me, then perhaps you'll become an OS freak like me.

I've tried:

All windows versions from 3.1 on
    FreeBSD
    NetBSD (only for a little)
    gentoo
    Debian
    redhat
    Slackware (slackware and the above three like Netbsd only for a little)
    BeOS
    MacOS all versions up to 10.1

As you can see i have quite some experiance!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169829

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice