1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Red Hat Avoids Desktop Linux, Says Too Tough

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by lotuseclat79, Apr 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Thread Starter

Article here.

-- Tom

2. kickback999

kickback999

Fedora is redhats desktop linux.
    Problem is there is just too many distributions out there.
    Standardisation is needed before we can take down microsoft.

3. Arcadion

Arcadion

Microsoft will end up taking themselves down. The more they focus on "anti-piracy" measures, making it harder for people in 3rd world countries (where it might cost a year's wages to buy Vista Basic) to pirate Windows, the more they will encourage those same people to switch to Linux or other free operating systems. Linux is plenty standardised already; while there are hundreds of distributions, there is just one kernel, most people use one of two desktops (Gnome or KDE), and one of two package management systems (RPM or DEB). You can go to Nvidia's website to download graphics card drivers, and all you need to know is whether you are running 32bit or 64bit Linux, that's fewer choices to choose from than if you were running Windows.

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Hey Tom, were you the one who posted a link a couple months ago about one of the Kernel Developers who quit because they wouldn't optimize the Kernel for the Desktop. He was putting out his own Kernel patches to make the desktop run smoother.

5. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Fedora is a testing ground for RHEL.

6. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Thread Starter

Hi Squashman,

I haven' t a clue. I'm sure I would remember if I were. However, if you can point me to a thread/post# with my fingerprint on it - then you will have proven your assertion. IOW, I honestly don't remember. :)

-- Tom

7. monckywrench

monckywrench

Red Hat is on plenty of business desktops.

The consumer desktop isn't a great moneymaker when Ubuntu is free. Where Linux can generate revenue is on systems like the Asus Eee. The Windows tax on these is expensive, and Linux works well and is easy to customize. The point is that hardware vendors can supply a Linux install inexpensively, and users can hack or replace it giving them greater value.

"Fedora is redhats desktop linux.
    Problem is there is just too many distributions out there.
    Standardisation is needed before we can take down microsoft."

Given the benefits of distro diversity, I'd rather have that than "take down Mircosoft". I don't have a reason to care if someone else uses Windows.

8. kickback999

kickback999

I do.
    Program compatibility.
    You cant seriously tell me there has never been a program you wanted to run, be it a game or anything else, that is only available on windows!
    In an ideal world programs would all be made for Winblows Linux and Mac and as such I wouldn't care what OS people use.
    Unfortunately that is not the world in which we live so really, we need to aim more to take over the market to a level that gets us more recognition from the faceless corporations of key software developers (adobe, valve, steinberg etc).
    Although, yes, there definitely is big benefits to distro diversity; I believe for most people they are unfortunately outweighed by the disadvantages of lack of mainstream support.

9. monckywrench

monckywrench

"You cant seriously tell me there has never been a program you wanted to run, be it a game or anything else, that is only available on windows!"

If I want that, than I'll run Windows or Wine or a Windows VM. (I use vnc to a Windows box since I repair many Windows systems.) If I'm paying for software for professional use, buying an OS is trivial.

As for the "faceless corporations", they already understand that most Linux users prefer free alternatives.

When Linux users vote with their MONEY they'll see commercial software makers offer what they want.
    That isn't really a consumer desktop issue, because most "consumers" don't buy Photoshop, Cubase, etc. Plenty of them use warez copies, but they can get Windows the same way. Piracy works against Free Software because "free" Windows installs help MSFT hold the market.

As for gamers, that is what Wine etc are for. When Linux users offer Valve MONEY than Valve has a reason to care about them. It isn't about standards, but profit.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704725

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice