1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Red Hat Question

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by TheMad, Jan 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TheMad

TheMad Thread Starter

Greetings.

Somewhat recently, I decided to install linux onto my otherwise pure windows machine. I started with Mandrake 9.0 on a recommendation from someone, and enjoyed it a bunch. However, just recently I decided to replace Mandrake with Red Hat 8.0, so I downloaded the 5 CDs and burned them all. When I went to install Red Hat, it asked me if I wanted to perform a CD check on all of the CDs. So I went ahead and started testing them. All of the CDs resulted in a FAIL except for disc 5. Now, as far as I know, nothing is wrong with my burner. I find it highly unlikely that my burner somehow screwed up the first 4 CDs yet the last one turned out all right. The CDs I burned RH onto were all 650 MB, but the ISOs were less than that (albeit just barely) and I didn't receive any errors from my burning program while burning. I've used it to burn other CDs and its worked fine every time. My question is is this normal? Is there perhaps some bug in the installer that causes it to not recognize the CDs as the correct media, or is it that I should redownload the first 4 ISOs and burn them again? Thanks in advance.

TheMad

2. codejockey

codejockey

You are most likely correct -- your burner is fine, and the problem lies elsewhere. My guess is that you had one or more errors during the download of each of the first 4 images (this is actually fairly common). Only the last image downloaded without an error, which is why it can install properly. If your download site reports the MD5 checksums, you should use those to verify your image after downloading and before burning -- then if you have an error, it has to be due to media or the burner. Compare the published MD5 checksum(s) with the one(s) you compute on each image after downloading (use the md5sum command to compute the checksum for the downloaded image). If the sums match, you know you have a good copy. If not, erase the image, and try again ...

Hope this helps.

3. TheMad

TheMad Thread Starter

Is there a way to check the md5sums in Windows XP?

TheMad

4. lynch

lynch

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!