1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Red light is on, Green Light is not

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by trishaann, Aug 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. trishaann

trishaann Thread Starter

When I try to turn my computer on, I can't do it with the button in front, I have to do it with the switch in the back and the red light comes on with the fan. The disk drives activate but the green light doesn't come up and there is nothing on my screen. I started having problems a week ago where the green light would just shut off and now it won't come on at all. Could this be related to my speakers not working too? I couldn't tell you what kind of computer it is either unless it was right in front of me. My ex-fiance let me have it when we split up.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Might be that the power supply has partially failed.

Probably unrelated to the speakers. Make sure they are plugged into the speaker/Line-out jack of the sound card. And that the speakers actually work, you can try them on a CD or walkman.

3. trishaann

trishaann Thread Starter

ok, will try the speakers on one of those. I was wondering if the hard drive or mother board could slowly go out or do those two things just go out without warning?

4. Beaney

Beaney

sounds like the a fried motherboard to me i had the same problem. when you turn on the computer at the back does it come on for around five seconds and then thats it?????

5. trishaann

trishaann Thread Starter

No, it doesn't come on at all. Even when it was shutting down in mid-use it only did it infrequently and I wouldn't have a problem once I turned it on again. It's plugged into one of those things that grounds it (my mind is a complete black at the moment on what they are called) and I should mention that even though these problems started before my niece switched off the main breaker while it was on the other day.

6. seekermeister

seekermeister

I tend to agree with Triple6 and think that the problem is with the PS. I have noticed something like that happening on mine a couple of times, when using the rear switch to cut off power, but fortunately, recycling the switch a couple of times cleared the problem.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Hey, if its not the power supply then its likely the motherboard. But the power supply is much easier to test and cheaper to replace then a motherboard.

8. trishaann

trishaann Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I would much rather have a fried power source. I'll keep my fingers crossed. I hope this was a nice little warning to be sure and back-up my compter. OK, guess I'm going to Best Buy or something.

9. seekermeister

seekermeister

If you must replace the power supply, get a good one.

10. trishaann

trishaann Thread Starter

What's a good one? Or do I go with the "you get what you pay for" idea.

11. Rich-M

Rich-M

Antec, Thermaltake, Sparkle, or Enermax are the best brands...name brands in psu does mean quality.

12. trishaann

trishaann Thread Starter

Thank you guys, for all the help. Brought it the be repaired. I'm going to say what was wrong for anyone else that has this problem.

Problem #1 Power supply was not working properly. Voltage was fluctuating between too high and too low and shorted out one of the fans. (Why the green light didn't come on):(
    Problem #2 Video card got too hot because 1 fan was out and burned up the video card. (Why there wasn't a picture):mad:
    Although the guy thought it could be my mother board when he switched out video cards and it still didn't work. Luckily, he mixed up his test video card with another broken one.
    Problem #3 No sound. Completely user error. :eek: I was plugging the speakers into where it was marked.......for the old sound card. The new sound card was in a completely different area and the marking was not like the other one and wasn't colore coded. The guy said always check second from the left (your left facing the back of the computer) first.:p

13. Beaney

Beaney

your lucky you found out your problem. i let it go and it ended up costing me a motherboard and a fan. suprrisingonly one of my 4 went out

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/491452

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice