1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Red X on Explorer Icons

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by 83rn15, May 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 83rn15

83rn15 Thread Starter

Hello Team,

I just recently noticed the following x mark on these icons, what does that mean? and how can i fix it?
    Help Please, Bellow you will find my Tech Spech of my PC

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Single Language, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU 3825U @ 1.90GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 61 Stepping 4
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 4011 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 932064 MB, Free - 817916 MB; D: Total - 20597 MB, Free - 2398 MB;
    Motherboard: HP, 80C1
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

2. Sponsor

3. bobs-here

bobs-here

First Name:
    Bob
  4. JudySmith712

JudySmith712

First Name:
    Judy Smith
    Are you seeing a red "X" (or other placeholder) instead of an image on a webpage? This might be caused by a broken link, a compatibility problem between the site and Internet Explorer, or something else that might be fixed by changing Internet Explorer's settings.

I can see most pictures, but not all of them
    If the problem is with an individual picture or page, you should be able to see some pictures on that site or on other sites. Here are a few things to try:
    Open the page in the desktop, and right-click (or press and hold) the empty space where the picture should be. Then tap or click Show picture in the dropdown menu. If this doesn't work, the link to the picture might be broken, which is a problem that the site's owner has to fix.
    Open the page in the desktop and try turning on Compatibility View to see if there's a compatibility problem that's preventing images from displaying properly.
    You might want to turn off Tracking Protection and ActiveX Filtering for this site. Tracking Protection and ActiveX Filtering help protect your privacy by blocking images or other content that might put your security or privacy at risk.

5. JudySmith712

JudySmith712

First Name:
    Judy Smith
    I can't see pictures on any websites

If none of these suggestions work, you can try resetting Internet Explorer to its default settings.

If you can't view any pictures on any sites, make sure Internet Explorer is set to display pictures, then try deleting your temporary Internet files, or resetting Internet Explorer's settings. Here's how:

To set Internet Explorer to display pictures
    1. Open the desktop, and then tap or click the Internet Explorer icon on the taskbar.

2. Tap or click Tools button [​IMG], and then tap or click Internet options.
    3. On the Advanced tab, under Multimedia, tap or click the Show pictures check box, and tap or click OK.
    If this doesn't work, try clearing your temporary Internet files.

To clear temporary Internet files
    1. Open the desktop, and then tap or click the Internet Explorer icon on the taskbar.

2. Tap or click Tools button [​IMG], and then tap or click Internet options.
    3. On the General tab, under Browsing history, tap or click Delete.

4. In the Delete Browsing History dialog box, clear the Temporary Internet files and website files check box.

5. Tap or click Delete, and then tap or click OK.
    If this doesn't work, try resetting your security settings.

To reset Internet Explorer's security settings

2. Tap or click the Tools button [​IMG], and then tap or click Internet options.
    3. On the Security tab, tap or click Default level, and then tap or click OK.
    If none of these suggestions work, you can try resetting Internet Explorer to its default settings.

6. TulsaRose

TulsaRose

First Name:
    Rosie
    I may be wrong but the way I'm reading the OP's query, he has icons with red x's on them and wants to know why \ they are.

Quote: from SuperUser web site

Sounds like the Icon Cache needs to be rebuilt.
    According to Windows 10 Forums,

The icon cache can sometimes become corrupted causing the icons of files to display incorrectly or distorted. When this happens, the icon cache needs to be deleted to reset and automatically recreate it.

There is also a tutorial there to walk you through it. End Quote

Last edited: May 2, 2016
    T4tlrman likes this.
  7. T4tlrman

T4tlrman

First Name:
    Terry
    Thanks Rosie, I was confused how it went from icons to pictures and thought I had missed something or I needed to refresh the thread... (hope we're not both on the disorient express!)
    ("It's not the world - it's us!")

:confused:

8. 83rn15

83rn15 Thread Starter

Attached in the example sorry i forgot to post my image. and i was not specific enough, is next to the icons of my folders in explorer not internet explorer

Attached Files:

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    All those folders may be part of your OneDrive sync, the one folder definitely would be. Check to see what errors you have in OneDrive using the icon on the system tray or the OneDrive folder itself.

83rn15 likes this.
  10. TulsaRose

TulsaRose

First Name:
    Rosie
    :D
    I love trains, Terry. All Aboard!:D

I think Rob has nailed down the problem according to this article at Microsoft Community.

Last edited: May 2, 2016
    T4tlrman likes this.
  11. T4tlrman

T4tlrman

First Name:
    Terry
    It must be you on it then cause it's monday and I think I missed it!~ Happy Trip! :sleep:

12. JudySmith712

JudySmith712

First Name:
    Judy Smith
    Sounds like the Icon Cache needs to be rebuilt.

The icon cache can sometimes become corrupted causing the icons of files to display incorrectly or distorted. When this happens, the icon cache needs to be deleted to reset and automatically recreate it.

There is also a tutorial there to walk you through it.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/rebuild-the-icon-cache-windows

13. 83rn15

83rn15 Thread Starter

I believe this is the answers. Thanks

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1170681

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice