1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

RedHat and my existing wireless connection

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by blckspder, Feb 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. blckspder

blckspder Thread Starter

Hello, i just installed RedHat on a computer but i cant seem to figure out how to get it working with my existing wireless network, would ne one know how to do that? Linux recognizes the on board ethernet but not the wireless card, its a motorola pci adapter wpci810g, please help if ne one knows thanks!!
    antoni

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

From what I have read about that card their are not any native drivers for it. Some People have had success using ndiswrapper but I have never tried it.

3. Ddruid

Ddruid

If it is an actual version of RedHat (9-) I doubt it will auto detect anything wireless.

Have a look here.

4. blckspder

blckspder Thread Starter

I looked into that ndiswrapper... they have the card i use in the list and i downloaded the file, but i dont understand how im exactly suppose to install everything.. the instructions arent very good for a beginner like myself.. ne help?? thanks

5. helmut

helmut

if you follow the guide but first I would drop redhat 9, redhat dont support it any more, go for fedora which is based on redhat or anther distro, most distros have ndiswrapper as a package to instal or you can take the source.

install the package:

maybe rpm -i ndiswrapper.xxxx.rpm or i think make && make install for the source.

ndiswrapper -i windows-driver.inf

modprobe ndiswrapper

ndiswrapper -m

install wireless-tools

iwconfig wlan0 essid xxxxxxx <- if you have an essid key, if not you should

ifconfig wlan0 should show your wireless device

Its something like this anyhow, been a while since i set this up, follow ths instruction from the ndis site and should work fine

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!