1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

RedHat Enterprise Linux and Internet through a Router

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by harshey88, Sep 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. harshey88

harshey88 Thread Starter

Hey guys, hopefully you can solve my problem its really bugging me... alright, so... i start up Linux, and i ran the internet connection thing and it recognized the onboard Ethernet, but when i try to activate it, it fails, and i can't get on the internet. Im thinking its cause i have a router in between the DSL and my computer, any suggestions? :confused: thanks a ton ;)

2. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

Is it dhcp? (your router.) If so, try dhcpcd eth0.

3. harshey88

harshey88 Thread Starter

yeah in windows its dhcp... but i tried to get into it using mozilla.. it came w/ linux and i put in the ip n it said it couldn't open the page or watever the error message is sooooo i have no idea how to get in and check to make sure its in dhcp

4. tsunam

tsunam

umm..harshey open up a console and do a dhcpcd eth0. That's what white meant.

if your router gives each computer a ip addy then its dhcp.

5. harshey88

harshey88 Thread Starter

oh ok... alright after i do that, and it is in dhcp, and it still doesn't work then what?

and if i do that and its not in dhcp, then what?

6. tsunam

tsunam

alright did it just sit there when you did the command and just act like it was dooing nothing? if so it's trying to poll the router. If its static( you tell the computers the ip address to use, the netmask etc you have to enter that in)

do a
    /sbin/ifconfig eth0 for us and show us what the printout of that is.

Last thing we can try is manually putting in the route to the gateway and doing it that way

to set your ip manually do a /sbin/ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.100

last resort is to manually add the gateway...with a

route add gw 192.168.1.1

it could be

route add default gw 192.168.1.1

don't have my laptop with me currently so doing it from memory

7. harshey88

harshey88 Thread Starter

ok ill try that, but i have to restart every time i wanna switch from linux to windows, so it take a while n then i ahve to write/print everything so yeah.. ill do that right now and post

8. harshey88

harshey88 Thread Starter

Ok i did it, and it said

Determind IP informatin for eth0...
    SIOCSIFFLAGS: Devie or resource busy
    SIOCSIFFLAGS: Devie or resource busy
    failed.

and then i did /sbin/ifconfig eth0 and got...

Link encap: Ethernet HWaddr OO:OC:6E:25:B8:ED
    BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU: 1500 Metric:1
    RX packets: 0 errors: 0 dropped: 0 overruns: 0 frame: 0
    TX packets: 0 errors: 0 dropped: 0 overruns: 0 frame: 0
    collisions: 0 txququelen: 1000
    RX bytes: 0(0.0b) TX bytes 0 (0.0b)
    Base address Ox8800

some things might be off.. i had to write it down and go back to windows and retype it so i don't know

i also tried /sbin/ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.100 but same thing... device or resource busy
    I also tried it w/ /sbin/ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.1 cause that's my routers ip... but same thing happened for that so i don't know what do do still

Oh yeah and by the way... i just restarted my computer w/ linux and for the first time it stopped on Bringing up interface eth0:
    for a long time, and then finally it said FAILED

9. lynch

lynch

It is. ;)
    With Red Hat Enterprise Server you may have to flush the iptables rules. I imagine they are set up fairly tight.
    Have you tried to reconfigure your ethernet card? Sometimes that works.
    Did you try to access the router through your windows computer?
    Did you swap ethernet cables? Could be a bad one.
    Have you tried to ping yourself? -> ping -c3 localhost (or 127.0.0.1)
    As root you can try -> ifup eth0
    I always set up my broadband as a lan connection rather than cable or dsl etc. Because of the router.
    lynch

10. harshey88

harshey88 Thread Starter

Alright, ill try that, but yeah, i can access the router through windows, but when i switch to linux it won't let me... but alright ill try those, and try to set it up as LAN and not DSL or just Ethernet. Ill also try to swap the cables. BUt how do I flush the iptables rules? and what do you mean by reconfigure my ethernet card... i don't have an ethernet card, my motherboard has onboard LAN.

11. harshey88

harshey88 Thread Starter

I just tried everything you told me to... and still no luck, i have no idea what the problem is, as soon as i go back to windows, the internet works perfectly fine. I also tried to put in another ethernet card besides the onboard one, still no luck, but that one works with windows also. I mean if i could get linux to have internet on it, i would be the happiest man alive. i pinged, and all 3 packets were recieved, i tried ifup eth0 and eth1, and still no luck... if you could solve this problem, id love you forever haha thanks any other ideas?

12. lynch

lynch

If you pinged the localhost successfully then the ethernet card or onboard lan (same thing) is setup OK.Turn off the firewall and check security settings.
    When you tried setting up dsl, did you use this guide.
    Take a look through this guide for more info. Let us know if you come up with anything.
    hth
    lynch

13. harshey88

harshey88 Thread Starter

Yeah i used the guide, and i also turned off the firewall, but the same thing keeps coming up i don't kno what's wrong... sorry if im not providing you with enough information im new to linux and yeah... but its still not working so i don't know what to do.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271901

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice