1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Redirect on a specific site. Only happens on my network

Discussion in 'General Security' started by Staraser, Sep 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Staraser

Staraser Thread Starter

Hello all
    I am facing redirects on my network. This doesn't happen on my friends' networks and on my friends' devices either. This happens on a specific site. This happens if a device connects to my network and it still happens on that device if it later disconnects from my network. I don't know what's causing this and I am out of options. Popup blockers don't work at all. I have even tried factory resetting my device and then connecting to another network but to no avail. This has been going on for 6 months now. I have used every kind of anti malware software possible. Any help will be greatly appreciated

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

So you have reset your Windows 10? And took the laptop to another network. And it still behaves that way? That is different from your thread title, please confirm the 2 items.

Staraser likes this.
  3. Staraser

Staraser Thread Starter

Thank you for the reply. Yes it still does. Same thing with my phone.

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

For the part where you took them (your laptop and your phone) to a different network, is it a neighbor ? Did you remember to change the WiFi connection when you were there? If not, they may still be connecting to your home's network.

Staraser likes this.
  5. Staraser

Staraser Thread Starter

It was a friend from a different area all together. So no chance that it was connecting to the my wifi. I'm concerned about BOTH my wifi and my devices.

6. lunarlander

lunarlander

So this has to do with only 1 web site?

What is the URL, let me try and see. Perhaps the site might have been hacked.

Staraser likes this.
  7. Staraser

Staraser Thread Starter

I've already tried it with my friends with all popup blockers off. Didn't happen on their devices. Only happened on their network IF they connected to my wifi before.

8. lunarlander

lunarlander

Try changing the DNS in your computer to Google's public DNS: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

9. Staraser

Staraser Thread Starter

I'm sorry I'm not a tech wiz. What will changing the DNS do?

10. Staraser

Staraser Thread Starter

As in I do not understand how to do that. I do appreciate the help

11. lunarlander

lunarlander

Go to Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Change Adpater settings > right click on the adpater > Properties > TCP/IP v 4 > Properties button > Use the following DNS server addresses. and enter those ip addresses there.

What they do: DNS servers are machines that translate a web address like www.google.com to an ip address. Normally, a router is automatically set up to use DNS servers provided by your ISP. But sometimes they give out wrong out ip's. Use Google's DNS servers to check.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1178447

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice