1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Redirecting Against My Will

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by jumper777, Sep 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jumper777

jumper777 Thread Starter

Helping a friend of mine ...

Running Windows 98, when I starts his browser (IE) which goes to his default page of www.Google.com. In a second or two, however, the site gets redirected to www.naster.com (spelled naster, not napster). He's not sure why it's happening but it started after he downloaded something from www.naster, he thinks.

Any why of stopping this redirect? Where would someone look to find where the redirect is being triggered?

Thanks. John

2. e-liam

e-liam

Hi John, and welcome to TSG. :)

Download AdAware 6 181 from here...

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

Before you scan with AdAware, check for updates of the reference file by using the "webupdate". Then ........

Make sure the following settings are made and on -------"ON=GREEN" From main window :Click "Start" then " Activate in-depth scan". Then......

click "Use custom scanning options>Customize" and have these options on: "Scan within archives" ,"Scan active processes","Scan registry", "Deep scan registry" ,"Scan my IE Favorites for banned URL" and "Scan my host-files". Then.........

go to settings(the gear on top of AdAware)>Tweak>Scanning engine and tick "Unload recognized processes during scanning" ...........then........"Cleaning engine" and tick "Automaticly try to unregister objects prior to deletion" and "Let windows remove files in use at next reboot"

then...... click "proceed" to save your settings.

Now to scan it´s just to click the "Scan" button.

When scan is finished, mark everything for removal and get rid of it.

Reboot and download 'Hijack This!' from http://www.spywareinfo.com/files/hijackthis.zip
    Unzip, doubleclick HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan". When the scan is finished, click "Save Log", and copy and paste it in a reply.

This will give us a rundown of what’s going on in your PC. One of us here will be glad to analyse it for you. Don’t fix anything yourself yet, as a lot of the stuff on that list will be harmless or required.

Cheers

Liam

3. jumper777

jumper777 Thread Starter

Liam,

Thanks for the prompt reply! I'll have my friend do as you suggest and get back to you.

John

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167655

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice