1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Redirecting domain url to local folder

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by dbinkley, Aug 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dbinkley

dbinkley Thread Starter

I am looking for a way that I can email a URL to a remote user, with a link to a share on our local network, and have it resolve to his local hard drive folder.

i.e. I want to copy/paste a URL of my local share file (like \\10.0.0.3\dropbox) and email it to the remote user, and have his computer resolve to C:\Dropbox on his computer.

Is there any way to make that happen?

2. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

Why not just set the URL to C:\Dropbox?

3. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

or just \Dropbox so it resolves to whatever drive/folder he is in.
    Also don't forget the symbolic variables that are set up in Windows.

4. dbinkley

dbinkley Thread Starter

I would have to manually edit the link to say that. I want to be able to copy/paste the link right in.....not to mention the many other, less-techy users who would also have to perform that manual function.

5. dbinkley

dbinkley Thread Starter

hhhmmmm.....could you elaborate?

I am unfamiliar with the \Dropbox concept.

On the symbolic variables, are you referring to the environment variables? Any suggestion about how to map that, to make \\10.0.0.3\dropbox\dropbox point to C:\Dropbox?

6. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

I have Dropbox installed and I don't have an environment variable for Dropbox. I'm sure DaveBurnett can help fill in the blanks with this.

7. DaveBurnett

As I said, don't use the higher level qualifiers then the system will search the path and use the first one it finds.

Environment variables are not really much help when you are on one specific machine. They are really there for generic script writers to use (they don't often understand or know about them so don't use them).

For instance: I always change the location of the temporary folder to c:\TEMP so it is easy to find and clear. Most stuff still uses the personalised location rather than the %TEMP% environment variable which points to the correct place.

8. dbinkley

dbinkley Thread Starter

hhhmmm...interesting.....but I put a hyperlink \Dropbox into an email, and then clicked on it. It opens my web browser and goes to dropbox.com. However, it I open a Run command, and type \Dropbox, then it goes to my file folder, as intended.

So this will not work for emailing links that the owner can click on to take him directly the file/folder that is intended. Plus, even so, we'd have to manually modify the URL every time, to remove the higher-level qualifiers....

Some great ideas, guys, but unfortunately not quite reaching what we need.

This has to work smoothly enough to please the boss and be reliably used, on a daily basis. Yeah, I am sure there a ton of better, more professional ways of sharing/linking files, between multiple locations...

9. DaveBurnett

Can you post an example of the email you would send?

10. dbinkley

dbinkley Thread Starter

my email would look like this......

\\10.0.0.3\dropbox\dropbox\2014 Drawings

I would want the remote user to be able to click on that link, and have his computer resolve to C:\Dropbox\2014 Drawings

I could manually delete the first part of the hyperlink to make it \Dropbox\2014 Drawings but that is not seeming to work, when clicking on hyperlink. It works when I use it from the Run command.

The other problem with this solution, is that this truncated URL will not work for the local users, that need to go to the server location, and these emails are normally circulated to local users, at the same time as the remote user.

I still think that using drive letters is the best way, but I can't get Outlook to stop converting my drive letters to the unc path.

The only workaround, that I've found, is to send the email via Plain Text, in which case it maintains the drive letter format, but then we can't do our bullet point lists, and pasting screenshots in the emails, like we often do.

11. DaveBurnett

This may seem a silly question, and I'm still thinking about it, but what is the problem with getting the local and remote people to use the FULL URL?
    Does that not still point to the same place?

12. dbinkley

dbinkley Thread Starter

the remote (opposite side of the country) people then have to load large files through the internet/vpn connection, which takes way too long. We want the URL to point to their local Dropbox folder, for instant access. My boss just told me, this morning, that it's not a sustainable situation, as slow as these files load.

As I see it, I need to be able to do one of two things.....either find a way to stop Outlook from converting drive letter hyperlinks into UNC links, or else find a way to have the remote computer resolve the network path to the local hard drive path.

13. dbinkley

dbinkley Thread Starter

Hey, I just figured it out......

on all local machines, I'm creating a symbolic link.......

mklink /D \Dropbox \sbs2k11\Dropbox\Dropbox

Then, when we create hyperlinks, it is C:\Dropbox, which is the same on the remote computers

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!