1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reduced Screen size problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by swaneyjoe, Aug 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. swaneyjoe

swaneyjoe Thread Starter

Hi...
    I have a minor problem.More annoying than anything.I'm running win 2000, wi Dell 4100,Ie 6.0, outlook express, etc etc. A short time ago I went into windows properties/settings and decreased screen res from 1020 down to 800. My wife was wanting to know how to do it, so I was just showing her. After reducing to 800, I then returned back to settings and returned it back to 1020. It returned fine!

After doing so, now every time I have my e-mail open, or browsing internet, and I open a new window, or click on a new link,etc, the new window that opens, opens at approx 2/3rds screen size, and I have to click full screen box in upper right to bring the new window to full screen size. This had happened once before a few yrs ago, but I'm not remembering if it finally corrected itself, or if I changed a setting somewhere in an options menu! I have gone thru the Help menu and am not finding anything referring to it or how to correct it. I have went back to settings and played around with changing the res bk en forth a few time to see if that might correct it, but no GO!

Any advice, or Help from anyone?? IF I can't correct it, I can live with it until someday I have to do a re install. Its just more annoying than anything.
    Thanks anyone!!
    Swaneyjoe

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

I have that happen to me and instead of clicking in the upper right corner I just double click in the empty part of the top bar and it opens the windows full screen and if doubke click again it shrinks it back down.

Internet Explorer Missing Full Screen Window Options

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/236361/en-us

3. swaneyjoe

swaneyjoe Thread Starter

Thanks Ozrom1e..

Yes ! I tried that and it works a little quicker! But I just don't know what started it doing that in the first place. When I was running Win 95 and 98, that would also happen periodocially, but it would usually correct itself after a while, or I either stumbled on an option that corrects it. I will just have to poke around, and maybe I'll stumble on it eventually!

Thanks for the reply!
    Swaneyjoe

4. jr6300

jr6300

IE should "remember" the last way the window was closed. So if you maximize the window, then close it, it should reopen maximized along with any subsequent windows open by links.

Joe

5. swaneyjoe

swaneyjoe Thread Starter

Thanks jr6300..

I vaguely remembered that, so have been trying it, It doesn' seem to work. But! If I'm not mistaken, most recent stuff stays in the cach, so each and every one, may be comming back that way. So, think I will go and remove all the IE temp files, and see if that does it. They should be cleaned out often anyway, and I usually forget!. I that doesn't work, I will just keep resizing each window as it pops up, and see if eventually it doesn't clear up!

Thanks for the Help.. I had forgotton that I had joined this site, quite some time ago, so its nice that I still have access to it! Our Son, a computer tech, used to keep our computers up to snuff for us whenever we had any problems,etc. But he joined the Army a few months ago, and isn't here to help Mom and Dad any more.And we are certainly not puter Gurus, so its either finding online help, or taking them into a computer shop. I guess I may have to crack some books to at least handle these small glitches that pop up, and leave the complex stuff to those in the know!

Thanks Again jr6300
    Swaneyjoe.. Jamestown, No Calif Seirra Nevada Mnts....where the 114 deg temps have
    Finally subsided, Thank Heavens!

6. jr6300

jr6300

Try this:

RH click a link in IE & Open in New Window. Close the original browser. Resize the open window by manually dragging each side as far as it will go. (Don't use Maximize for this) Hold down the CTRL Key and click the X to close the page.

Reopen to test.

Joe

7. swaneyjoe

swaneyjoe Thread Starter

Thanks JR....
    Thks for the info.Will give that a try. As I was browsing around and playing with my imaging program last night ,etc it has stopped doing that on most stuff I had opened, so I think it is slowly clearing itself up.But I will give that a shot anyway! IF you don't get a reply back from me, you will know that everything is back to norm,but I will keep that little trick in mind the next time I have this problem..

Thanks a million
    Swaneyjoe

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/491403

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice