Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reducing Spectrum Equipment rent cost

1K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  DRPC 
#1 ·
I recently changed my service provider to Spectrum Internet with 400Mbps service.
When the Tech came in he installed a Spectrum cable mode with a Spectrum WIFI 6 router.
He connected the Spectrum WIFI router to my Netgear 1750 router that I used in the past.
The connected worked for TV streaming such as Pluto.

My service includes Internet with phone so I can have a land line in the house.

What can I do to farther reduce spectrum router equipment cost?
I do have a Netgear AC3200 Triband 6 router that I have not ever used.

Thank you,

#2 ·
When your special price expires within 1 year you can downgrade to 200 Mbps if you don't stream too much. Not sure about your land line service but if you have a cellular phone that will work much better but will cost you about the same as landline phone service. If internet goes down your phone will also not work at all but that choice is up to you to decide.

#3 ·
I have the exact same service. I never use the "Supplied" modem/router combo. Spectrum has a stand-alone modem with phone. I use this with a performance asus router. You are paying a monthly fee for their router. Since you already have a decent router, I see no reason why you need their router. Having two routers on a network often leads to problems unless one of them is config in bridge mode.

#5 ·
So can I just unplug the Spectrum router plug my router directly into the spectrum modem?
Not exactly. When you change anything connected to the modem you always power down the modem and wait at least a minute before you power it back up. Once the lights are on, you can plug in the non-Spectrum router.
Modems have a "memory". They aren't hot pluggable. Powering a modem down, makes it "forget" the hardware that was plugged into it.
If you don't power it down and simply connect something different, you end up with no internet on the new device.

#7 ·
If Spectrum has given you a separate modem and router you can return their router and use your own. They don't charge for the modem so you can save $5.00 a month by using your own router. However, if you use your own router they won't provide any technical support for it.

Rectangle Font Magenta Brand Parallel

#8 ·
I unplugged the Spectrum WI FI router from the spectrum modem and plug
my netgear router directly into the modem. My router lost connection.
What would be the reason for that and how can I make my router work without
the spectrum router?

Thank you,

#9 ·
Post the exact ie part# of your modem. Spectrum modems are somewhat flaky in that when you change connections, you have to depower the modem completely. You cannot just switch it OFF; it must be unplugged for a few min then reconnected.

#11 ·
Spectrum can tie the modem to the router connected to it based on MAC (Media Access Control) address. If it doesn't see the right MAC address, it won't connect. The two routers have different MAC addresses.

You can either clone the MAC address of the Spectrum router to your router, if you can get it from the Spectrum router (often it's on a label) and if your router allows for that in its configuration pages.

-OR-

Connect your router to the modem, and call Spectrum to have them update your connection/change the MAC address associated with the modem.

#14 ·
No, I just unplugged the spectrum router. I don't know how to power it down.
The equipment I have is

1. Spectrum modem (ES22510)
2. Spectrum router (SAX1V15)

My Equipment

1, Netgear R6400 in which is in use connected to the spectrum router.
2. Netgear R8000. I never have used it but it looks like a nice x6 router.

I am a little afraid I will mess up connections so I need to move slowly.
I got my first bill and I can't really tell if they are charging extra for
the modem or router. I does not say.

Thanks Doug,

#15 ·
The modems I have had did not have on/off buttons. They are meant to be on 24/7. It is normal to unplug them to power them down. Occasionally during a technical support call I am asked to unplug them for 30 seconds and then plug them back in. Sometimes that works better than the usual reset.

As a new Spectrum Internet customer, you're offered a compliant modem at no additional charge that has passed our full certification testing for optimal performance.

For a monthly fee, Spectrum will provide a pre-configured WiFi router. Customers may also choose to use or purchase their own router. Learn more about in-home WiFi and routers.
Authorized Modems to Use on the Spectrum Network
https://www.spectrum.net/support/internet/compliant-modems-spectrum-network

Below is a sample Spectrum bill. The router is billed as WiFi Service for $5.00.
Rectangle Font Parallel Number Circle

#19 ·
There are several models that match 'Netgear AC3200 Triband router'.
Got a model #?

Here are some of them:
https://www.netgear.com/search/?col...e=faq&trendingClick=true&query=AC3200 Triband

Find the manual for your model and search for MAC address or MAC cloning or WAN MAC setting.
For example: R7850 model: manual pg 26-27, step 10, set to 'Use this MAC Address', and enter Spectrum router MAC address (six hex pairs, eg 92-1A-C0-4D-3E-8F ).

Again I will reiterate, you can also get this working by calling Spectrum, telling them you swapped routers and need them to authorize the new one. They should know how to do that. If you've never logged into a router configuration page before, this is the route I would recommend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.