1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reducing startup procedures?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Eilenach, Nov 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Eilenach

Eilenach Thread Starter

Lately my laptop has been unreasonably slow (The CPU is almost constantly at 100%, even with only Media Player and Firefox running, which is unreasonable for a 2.0 GHz CPU), so I'm trying everything to increase the performance.

Could I uncheck any of my startup procedures?

AzMixerSel
    ntiMui
    empty space
    ePresentation
    IMJPMIG
    ImScInst
    TINTSETP
    TINTSETP
    SkyTel
    ePower_DMC
    Boot
    SvnTPEnh
    LManager
    CLIStart
    eRAgent
    CPG
    avgnt
    FirstStart
    jusched
    LVCOMSX
    ISStart
    LogiTray
    RTHDCPL
    ALCMTR
    dumprep 0 -k
    Monitor
    GoogleToolbarNotifier
    AdobeUpdateManager
    ctfmon
    Acer Empowering Technology
    Adober Reader Speed Launch
    Last.fm Helper
    Spyware Guard

Thanks in advance!

2. stantley

stantley

If you're machine is running slow post a HijackThis log to find out if malware might be the cause. Plus it's easier to see the startup programs.

Go to this site http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/threat_analytics/hijackthis.php?page=download.

Click on 'Download HijackThis Installer'.

*Save HJTInstall.exe to your desktop, or to the location where you normally download.
    *Doubleclick on HJTInstall.exe.
    *Click on Install.
    *By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis.
    *Once installed, it will launch Hijackthis.
    *Click on the 'Do a system scan and save a logfile button'. It will scan and the log will open in notepad.
    *Click Save to save the log file.
    *Click on 'Edit > Select All' then click on 'Edit > Copy' (or Ctrl-C) to copy the entire contents of the log.
    *Come back to this thread and Paste (or Ctrl-V) the log in your next reply.

*DO NOT have Hijackthis fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

3. Eilenach

Eilenach Thread Starter

Thank you for your quick answer!

I've already done that, here, but I don't seem to get any answer.

Best Regards,
    Christian

4. stantley

stantley

The malware experts are pretty busy but they should get to yours at some point, keep bumping your post every other day or so. It doesn't look like there are any major problems but there are a few things that need to be cleaned up.

When you say the CPU is at 100% do know which process is causing it? Open up Task Manager and see which processes is have the highest CPU usage.

You could trim down your startup programs, these sites will give you more details on what they are, then you can decide which ones you need.

http://www.castlecops.com/StartupList.html

http://www.lafn.org/webconnect/mentor/startup/PENINDEX.HTM

Then get Startup Control Panel which is a freeware utility that you can use to turn off startup programs.

5. Eilenach

Eilenach Thread Starter

Well, I hope so, I've been bumping my first thread since 17-Oct-2007. I gave up the other day and made a new one; maybe I'll be luckier this time.

Most of the time it seems to be Firefox.

Currently the CPU usage is only at ~10%. However, the "Processes" -sheet indicates that 'System Idle Process' uses 98% CPU, if I understand it correctly? On the other hand, my computer is running quite smoothly at the moment, so I guess that's something else? But when it's really using 98-100%, the pointer can barely be moved and that occurs from time to time as well.

I will have a look at the links; thanks!

6. stantley

stantley

Having a high System Idle Process is good that means the CPU isn't busy. If the System Idle Process is at 98% that means only 2% of the CPU is in use. See if cutting down the startup programs helps at all.

7. Eilenach

Eilenach Thread Starter

8. Eilenach

Eilenach Thread Starter

Ah, okey, sounds perfectly logical, thanks!

9. stantley

stantley

If you've been using WinPatrol then keep using that. You can use one or the other but not both.
    You can turn it off but don't remove it because you need it to run the ATI Catalyst Control Center.

Edit: I looked at the link you posted and you were referring to the CLI.exe that runs the system tray (I was talking about a different one). Yes you can also turn that one off and leave it off, it's not needed to run Catalyst Control Center. I always just turn off startup entries and the only time I delete them is after I uninstall a program and some of it's startup entries are left behind.

10. Eilenach

Eilenach Thread Starter

Thanks once again for your answer!

So what you mean is that there are different "CLI.EXE"s?

As a matter of fact, two processes with that name are running on my computer. The only difference I can see is that one is using 5,496K memory and the other 5,448K.

Furthermore, I can only see them in Task Manager, not in msconfig nor in WinPatrol.

Then again, msconfig and WinPatrol do show "CLIStart.exe" (and this is not visible in Task Manager).

I'm quite confused, any ideas?

11. stantley

stantley

I have one in HKLM/Run called ATICCC and the command it executes is "C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\CLI.exe" runtime

It will start 2 CLI.exe processes which are needed if you open up ATI Catalyst Control Center.

But I leave it off since I seldom use ATI Catalyst Control Center and when I need to use it I run ATICCC first.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/646762

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice