1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Redundant music files

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by billyg1957, Jun 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. billyg1957

billyg1957 Thread Starter

I posted this in 2007, but was unable to get solutions that worked...

Without going into the details of how I managed to accomplish this....I have many music files that have different names, but are the same song. Is there a utility that can find redundant files of different names so that I can delete them? They all equist in the music library, so I am not even sure if the files themselves are redundant, or if there are redundant references to them

2. stantley

stantley

What software are you using to store your music information?

There are some freeware programs to find duplicate files: Fast Duplicate File Finder, google for more.

This free program is for finding duplicate Mp3 files: Duplicate Music Files Finder

Here is a list of free and shareware program: http://www.bestsoftware4download.com/s-otjyqxlu-find-duplicate-music-files-software-0-d.html

The best paid one I've used is Phelix and you can download a trial version. It takes an acoustical sample of the files, so it will find duplicates even if there's is no match on filename or ID3 tags.

3. billyg1957

billyg1957 Thread Starter

I use the Creative software for my mp3 files, but through the course of time, I am sure there are many examples of files called Track 1, or many other names. I have everything backed up in an external drive...and it looks like normal folder/file structures, with individual folders for album titles, etc.... It's a mess!! I may try the Phelix, because i dont thing the file names or tags is going to do the trick.

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    if the MP3 tags have the correct information, using iTunes and it's show duplicates option will help you find the dupes and you can delete the redundant ones that you don't need.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/832495

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice