1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reel to Reel to Computer

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by kosland2000, Feb 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kosland2000

kosland2000 Thread Starter

My father used to record music off record albums, big band era, music from the 30's to the 70's even. He recorded us when we were little. He has passed away and I would like to transfer the music to the computer and upload to YouTube for my siblings to enjoy.

Okay so.. problem one. I have about 60 of these tapes. They were done on a Reel to Reel Akai GX270G 8 inch tape machine. I have the machine and attached a pic of it as well as the input/output jacks. Problem two, these tapes are several decades old so need to transfer this music asap. I have tried to just record them but the sound quality is horrid.

I went to an audio store and they said I need to buy and amp. Cheapest they had was 225. So would really like to avoid this if possible. Someone said he had done it with this type tape deck years ago with an RCA cord. I dont see an RCA output?

Im sure this is going to sound lame but i dont know what my "line in" is on my computer. I have an HP.

Attached Files:

2. stantley

stantley

What exactly did you do to record them?

The third picture you posted has RCA jacks for both input and output.

What's the exact make and model?

Once you get it hooked up you can record with Audacity.

3. kosland2000

kosland2000 Thread Starter

I downloaded Audacity today!

So I just need to find a cable that will go from those output jacks and into a usb port? no need for an amplifier? Or special kind of machine?

4. stantley

stantley

No, you need a cable to go from the output jacks on the tape deck to Line In on your computer. If you have a laptop you might have to use the microphone input. That's why I need to know the exact make and model of your computer.

I would try it first without an amplifier to see how it sounds. If the volume is too low or it sounds distorted then you'll need to get an amplifier. But you can get something cheaper than 225. Here's one for 60:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=82-184-464

5. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

6. obowers

obowers

I had a lot of reel to reel tapes that I recorded back in the '60s. I got a cable and came from L and R output on reel recorder to audio input on computer. The cable consisted of RCA jacks to a mini jack on the other end. Connection on my computer was beside the audio output jack on board. then used Movie Maker program and recorded audio tracks there and transferred to CD's. Once there you can transfer to about anything. Good luck.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090691

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice