1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reformat existing hard drive??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by michelle2005, Jan 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. michelle2005

michelle2005 Thread Starter

Hi
    I used to run windows 98 and recently installed windows xp (oem version). This has meant that I now dont have access to anything that was previously on my hard drive, though it is all still on it and taking up space. I cant uninstall xp so I was wondering whether I can just reformat my hard drive and reload everything again? At the moment loads of space is being taken up on my drive with programs that I cant run now.
    Can I do this? And tips on what to do etc?
    Thanks
    Michelle

2. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

You could find difficulty in using that OEM CD again. Some of those are set up for once and once only use. What you're suggesting is quite possible and an XP CD will do it all for you but with the OEM version, I think you're running a risk. The programmes won't work because you have only shell copies there with no Registry entries to support them. Can you not reinstall them?

3. winbob

winbob

Saga,

"You could find difficulty in using that OEM CD again. Some of those are set up for once and once only use."

I don't believe this is accurate. There ARE (re)activation considerations...3 strikes and you're out...but you can get around that by calling M$ rather than using automatic online activation.

As far as I am aware, there is no way for an installation (read only) CD to know how many times it was used. AND if the HD is repartitioned and reformatted, it can not carry forward any infoas to what was on it previously.

That leaves registration/activation...which can be overcome via M$.

NOW, if Michelle had installed as an 'upgrade' .....which I don't know is possible with an OEM CD....the programs would have been accessible.

This leads to Michelle's statement of,

"now I dont have access to anything that was previously on my hard drive"

Michelle, I don't think you meant to say that exactly. Can't you access the files via Explorer? I think that you really meant the applications do not RUN.

If you have some applications that do not require Registry entries, they should RUN.

If you want to get everything running again....reinstall the applications one at a time using their install disks.

4. 4steve44

4steve44

If you installed Xp OEM over 98 then your drive went through a format and none of that info is on your drive at this point :D

5. Old Rich

Old Rich

You will not have any problem starting over with a clean installation using the OEM as long as there have not been major changes to the hardware.

This is a good guide to installing XP . . you might want to print it for reference during the installation.

You may have to reload drivers (Chipset first) and applications, After the installation, you will need to download and install SP-2, while windows is clean. Prior to connecting to the internet be sure you enable the XP firewall.

If you want to save your files and settings, you can use the XP Files and Settings Transfer (FAST) wizard to create an image of them and save to cd or other removable media. This is a good guide to using the FAST wizard. Just be sure you have an up-to-date antivirus before you re-instate them!

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_fstw.asp

wrs

6. michelle2005

michelle2005 Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice. I did the reinstall from the link given by simpswr. It is a great link and made it very easy.
    And (surprisingly for me) it worked without any hitches!
    Thanks a lot for all the help
    Michelle

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!