1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

reformat hard drive to install win 98

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by creole, Jan 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. creole

creole Thread Starter

Greetings

I am trying to reformat my hard drive so I can install Windows 98.I have a Thinkpad 390e,and the dos command:
    "C:\reformat" does not work
    Is there another series of commands to use to reformat?

Thanks

2. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Put the bootdisk in the drive and boot with it. At the A:\>
    type
    Format C: and press enter

3. creole

creole Thread Starter

On reformating using boot disk:
    I put boot disk in my thinkpad 390e laptop, but the computer does not read the disk.When I put disk in and start computer, all I get is a blank screen with a cursor
    With Cd-Rom, I can boot.Can I reformat from the Cd-Rom?

4. Ichabod

Ichabod

Are you trying to format your laptop and reinstall windows and you have a choice of a floppy disk or cdrom, but not both at the same time? It's tricky. I just did it and it wasn't easy. Here's the way I finally did it:

l. On my desktop pc made what I call a "Format disk" containing fdisk.exe, format.com, and command.com. Used this to boot the laptop, run "fdisk", then "format c:/s". (I found that not every version of format will support the /s switch). I was then able to boot the laptop from its own hd and it would recognize both the a: and c: drives. This is an important first step.

2. I located on my desktop pc and added to my "format disk" the following files:

HIMEM.SYS
    MSCDEX.EXE
    OAKCDROM.SYS (your cdrom drive may need a different driver)
    VIDE-CDD.SYS
    EDIT.COM (because I wound up making changes to the following to get them to work)

Then use Notepad to create an AUTOEXEC.BAT file containing the following line:

MSCDEX/D:MSCD001 (those are zeroes)

and a "CONFIG.SYS" file with the following lines:

DEVICE=HIMEM.SYS
    DEVICE=C:OAKCDROM.SYS/D:MSCD001

(For me this second line worked with no spaces. Most sources I have seen show a space after sys) (your cdrom may need a different driver) Make sure that the D:MSCD001 appear exactly the same in autoexec.bat and config.sys.

3. Copy these files from the a: to the c: directory of the laptop. Power down, remove the floppy drive, install the cdrom drive. On power up the cdrom drive will be recognized as drive d if you do all the above correctly. Then just insert your windows cd in drive d, and change to the d: prompt, then type "setup". That's all there is to it. Just be aware that your cdrom drive may need a different DOS driver. Your laptop would be the best source of the correct driver. Also, go to google and search for "MSCD001" for more info.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

Norman aka Ichabod

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65812

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice