Reformat = rebooting

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Tabion

Hi everyone, first time posting here, normally I can handle any comp problems I come across, but this has me stumped.
So basically, I had a virus, jeefo.a, and downloaded something to get rid of it from bitdefender. This program ended up deleteing half of my windows files without prompting me. However, the computer still booted up and half of my applications still worked, but I lost my taskbar, svchost and many other components, limiting the use I had of my computer. I could not do a system restore to a previous point because components of that were missing. Also I couldn't even copy and paste, thought that was strange. Well hooked up my HD up to another comp and copied my important files and decided to reformat. After the reformat the comp just kept rebooting. Checked my bios settings, everything looks fine to me, but no matter what it boots up as if I was pressing f8 asking whether to boot normal, safe mode, or last known conf. None of these have any different affect, after trying any of them the computer immediately reboots. Ok my first thought, bad sector on hard drive maybe. Hooked it into my other comp as master solo, and it booted up fine. So now I asked a friend and they are telling me that the virus could have affected my bios, but I am almost certain jeefo only attacks .exe files. I was thinking to maybe reset my cmos? But I am going to wait for any other ideas first. Also my specs are: Win xp, 2.6 gig proc, 512 ram, 80 gig hd, 32mb video card, and anything else that needs to be stated just let me know.
PLEASE HELP.

I would start with trying to replace critical system files . . click on Start . .Run . . type cmd . . in the black box with a prompt, type sfc /scannow ( the space is important )

It will likely have you insert the XP installation disc and may take up to an hour to complete.

If this does not allow you to boot normally, a repair install of XP is the next step . . This is a good guide to performing a repair install

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Tabion

I cannot do that since windows will not load. The second I hit enter when it asks how to boot up (normal safe etc) it restarts. All I can do is open bios.

Tabion

I'd also like to mention something new. I once had a computer that was doing this because of a bad video card, so I just tried my old nvidia 7500 and it wont work at all, tried all my slots. The video card I have originally is just one attached to the motherboard, its either nvidia 7500 or something very similiar, dont remember at the moment. Anyway, I guess that might help with some diagnoses, it obviously has nothing to do with the hard drive because I took one of my HD from another comp and tried it in there and it is doing the same thing, and they are compressed the same. Please help me! I need that computer up and running!!!

If there are no hardware problems, you should be able to boot from the XP installation cd and perform a repair installation.

Tabion

As it boots up it restarts, just thought, bad battery maybe?

Sounds like you did not boot from the XP CD . . to do that, enter BIOS ( Setup ) and set the first boot device as CD/ROM. Put your XP Disc in the drive and disconnect all external peripherals except the monitor, keyboard and mouse, and be sure those are not USB, or wireless. Any internal USB card should also be removed.

Once you set your BIOS to boot first from cd . . when it restarts you will see a black screen with a prompt "Press any key to boot from CD" . . do that and you will be able to delete partitions and recreate the ones you want and proceed to formating and installing XP

That message can pass quickly, so have a finger on the keyboard when you boot

Once you have booted from the cd, you can follow the guide I posted earlier to perform a repair installation.

Tabion

This is what I did simply, I tossed my recovery cd in the drive rebooted and did a reformat, the only choice i get. I do not have an xp cd just a recovery, but it has xp on it.

Tabion

No what I meant was I used the recovery cd and i got this problem, but I found out what is wrong and need more help! Ok so I used a recovery cd from a different computer and can't find the right one, so I have windows and everything on the harddrive but I am guessing its missing the right BIOS components. I have the install file I need but don't know how to install it since I can't boot into windows... Is there some way to make a boot cd for one comp and use it on another or make the bios file execute on bootup? Any ideas??? please help!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online