1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reformat Trouble - Error

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by MarkusG, Oct 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MarkusG

MarkusG Thread Starter

I have a ton of spyware and such on my computer and wanted to start fresh with a reformat. I put my XP disc in and tried to boot from the CD. When I tried to select a fresh partition I got the following error:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you ahve seen this error screen, restart yoru computer. If this
    screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the stop
    message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as chaching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable any components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup options, and then select safe mode.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0xF7418C13, 0xF6FD57E4, 0x00000000)

*** setupdd.sys - Address F7418C13 base at F73EC000, Datestamp 41107c8f

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I searched the forums and found that this is a memory issue. I changed both of my RAM sticks and tried them in different ports. I restarted the computer about 6-8 times and I still go the error message except this time is said:

*** STOP: 0x00000050 etc..

and page_fault_in_nonpage_area

Any ideas on what to do from here? I just want to get wipe it all clean and start again.

Thanks for the help ahead of time.

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Are you deleting the old partition or just trying to make a new one and there is not enough space on the hard drive to do it?

3. MarkusG

MarkusG Thread Starter

I have 66 gigs free on my C drive. When the list with the partitions comes up there are no partitions to delete. I just click enter to proceed and get the error.

I have a 3.4 gig processor and two sticks of 1gig ram. I tried each stick individually and in different memory slots. When I try both together I get the first error. When I try them individually I get the error:

*** STOP: 0x00000050 etc..

and page_fault_in_nonpage_area

I have also run ad aware, search and destory, and CC cleaner multiple. It is very frustrating because I'm trying to get rid of all the crap but I can never seem to get it all. In the taskmanager I can close them down individually but I watch them pop back in there one at a time. When I try to play any games on the CPU usage goes up to 100% and the game is slow and jerks constantly.

4. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

You may have 66 Gb of free space but if you are trying to partition it there is already a partition there. Windows will repartition it but will wipe the hard drive in the process. You would need a program like gparted found at:

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

Go there and read first on how to use it. Then download it and use it.

Actually you would be better off backing up all of the important data on the drive and then do a clean install on that drive.

Microsoft KB - How to perform a clean boot in Windows XP =
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310353

5. MarkusG

MarkusG Thread Starter

Thank you very much for your help.

Do I need to do a clean boot using the instructions and then use gparted? In the second part of your reply it seems like I should do an install from the clean boot but the instructions just indicate how to do a clean boot and nothing about a new install.

I have all the data backed up that I want to keep. I want to do a clean install.

6. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

A clean boot can also be called a clean install basically all you do is put int he install disk and follow the ptompts and you will see the part about formatting the drive for the format chose the option for NTFS and drive C:\ and then do the full drive and away you go.

Basically just follow the instructions of the article I sent you It works very well.

7. MarkusG

MarkusG Thread Starter

I'm still not sure what to do. When I followed the article directions I just ended up with Windows starting up with less programs active. I then popped in the install disc and followed the prompts. When my computer restarted I got a brand new error message

Stop: 0x0000007

and it asked me to check for viruses or hard drive corruption. I can not even boot my computer in safe mode anymore as it defaults to boot from the desk every time. I am writing this reply from a different computer and would really appreicate some help in getting my primary computer to work without having to take it to a shop.

Thanks

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/644039

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice