1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

reformat troubles

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by sweetcheekies, Apr 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sweetcheekies

sweetcheekies Thread Starter

Okay .. i tried to reformat my win98se computer.. and it formated okay.. wanted to put winxp.. no go.. not enough ram. okay so i tried win me.. and win98se. I have boot up disks etc.. I keep getting error message Device driver not found. installation will now quit.... i tried taking a newer cdrom drive and puting it on there ( one from this computer that is less than a year old ) it did the same thing.. bios is set up okay and the computer is reading both cdroms ( which ever one was installed ) I still got the same message.. has anyone heard of this and does anyone have any ideas? i would like to try winme first.. but will go with just my old win98se if i have to.

ohh by the way my cdrom drive in the 98 computer is a old Creative one.

Thanks ,
    SweetC

2. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Please see the following printable tutorial. Shut the computer off for 120 seconds (after the format to clear RAM of any virus) before restarting with a Windows Startup disk in the [A] drive. Only mouse, keyboard and monitor plugged onto the computer during Windows install.

I apologize for stating something you already know.

Attached Files:

3. Styxx

Styxx Banned

I like WinME the best myself.

4. sweetcheekies

okay well that got me no where.. i am still getting device driver not found.. ughhhhhhhh any other ideas? i reformatted.. repartitioned... tried it. no luck.. reformated .. no partions and still no luck..

5. A Hawk

A Hawk

Might be something wrong with your boot disk. Go here http://www.cybertechhelp.com/ and d/load the ultimate boot disk to your desk top then double click on the icon with a floppy in a: drive and it will create a boot disk which has full cdrom support. You may have to fdisk and format again :(

6. sweetcheekies

did that and same thing happened as last time.. the device driver was not found.. so who knows.. anyone with ideas please let me know

7. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Please state the exact error message(s), that's key. No paraphrasing. You may have the CD-ROM plugged in, jumpered incorrectly or the power supply cable to it you're using is not the right one. Or, a data/power cable may have gone bad on you.

8. sweetcheekies

okay well it was working... i reformatted it and then voila error... okay heres what happens.. i put in the start up disk... it starts to go.. while its searching for things.. it says no device driver found.. MSCDOO1 ... aborting installation. and thats it.. thats what it says. when the cd is in the cdrom player.. i can type f:dir ( cdrom drive letter usually) and it will give a list of things on the drive... not sure.. whats going on .. i took it to the guy next door ... he will check cables .. ribbon thingys and wires etc and see if anyof them went bad.. will keep u posted and will post back with what the prob was and the solution.. thanks all

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221132

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice