reformat without a operating system

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

PlasmaDragon

Hey,
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

I just got a new mobo and graphics card. I set up the system and it all works, but the problem is that it said that there was a file missing or had been corrupt. Then i tryed to reinstall XP pro but as it was copying it had another error and said it couldn't copy the file. I tryed this 3 times, all the same error. the problem is not with the CD because i tryed the MS boot disks it crashed on the same file.

I think that the problem is with the HDD but im not 100% is there a way of reformatting the HDD without there being a OS installed like a program on a Floppy disk or somthing.

System Specs:
ASUS P4V800D-X
Pentium 4 2.66Ghz 478 socket
512Mbs of DDR400 RAM
400W power supply
Geforce 5500 AGP

Thanks!

Plasma

you can try inserting your xp setup disc then start->run-> sfc /scannow

what this will do is replace missing and corrupted windows files hopefully fixing your problem

p.s. theres a space bettwenn sfc and the /

hope it helps

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
If the Windows 98 startup floppy disk is missing the FORMAT.COM file(which isn't included when you create a startup disk through Windows), you won't be able to use it to format the hard drive.

To create a fully-bootable startup floppy disk, go here and click the "Windows 98 boot floppy image" link. Download and save the WIN98_IMG.EXE file. Place a blank floppy disk in its drive. Double-click the saved file and allow it to extract its contents into the floppy disk. Once it's done, you'll have a fully-bootable startup floppy disk(which includes the FORMAT.COM file and generic CDROM drivers).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PlasmaDragon

right i started installing XP but when copying the files it stoped with the error
"File setupdd.sys cannot be loaded.
error code 7" it has done this with 3 diffrent disks i have not reformatted yet am about to! could there be a corrupt sector on the HDD?

SEAGATE is a very good drive. I would go to SEAGATE and download their low level format (zero fill) utility, wipe the drive clean then try to reinstall Windows. After the drive is zero filled, Windows should find it as "new-unformatted" and you can do your format and reinstallation on a clean drive.

When you are ready to reinstall Windows unplug all your peripherals except the monitor, kerboard and mouse.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online