Reformat without disc

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

LadyRogue

My husband wants to reformat his Dell laptop, but it came with Windows 7 preinstalled and we have no disc. How can he reformat and not lose his OS??

Hello LadyRogue,

Typically Dell laptops ship with 'Rescue Disks', or the ability to create your own (depending on the age of the laptop). If you did not receive said disks, or you did receive them but cannot locate them, your best bet is to create your own using the Dell software -

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN114921/EN

Another alternative is to use the built in Windows 7 backup software to create a system image -

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/4241/how-to-create-a-system-image-in-windows-7/

If you have enough free portable hard drives, or DVDs, it may be best to perform both of the methods above for best results.

Kind Regards,

Davo

dustyjay

Jay
It would help to know the exact model dell laptop. If you post the Service Tag number or Express service tag number we can look at the Users Manual and tell you how to do a factory restore. Be advised, back up any data, Pictures Media files you do not want to lose first.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
My husband wants to reformat his Dell laptop, but it came with Windows 7 preinstalled and we have no disc.
What's the model name and model number of that Dell laptop?

What's the "service tag" number and/or "express service code" number on it?

Do you live in the U.S.A.?

------------------------------------------------------

LadyRogue

Valis - No and in fact we no longer have that computer as my husband purchased a new gaming desktop to replace it around Christmas.

The laptop in question is Dell Inspiron Duo, Service tag is HR1P0P1, express service code is 38640733381 and yes we are in the US.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
The laptop in question is Dell Inspiron Duo, Service tag is HR1P0P1, express service code is 38640733381 and yes we are in the US.
You have this Dell Inspiron Mini Duo 1090 10.1" netbook.

You should add and save this site in your browser's favorites/bookmarks list so you can quickly refer to it when needed.

According to its system configuration section, it shipped in December 2010 in the U.S.A. and came with Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit.

I've submitted images from its on-line setup guide (pages 56 - 63) for restoring the operating system.

Attachments

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
If it becomes necessary and you can't purchase the recovery media disc kit from Dell, you should be able to purchase it here.

Attachments

LadyRogue

Thanks so much! I'll take a look at these and will let you know if I need further help.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online