1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reformat

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Marz, Apr 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Marz

Marz Thread Starter

If I were to reformat my hard drive and try to install WinXP pro, would I have to buy a new key?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Just use the same one on your jewel case. You can legally install it as often as you want on as many different machines as you want so long as it is only installed on one computer at a time. The same key should be used---that is the one you bought.

3. Marz

Marz Thread Starter

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

XP can be installed any number of times. After a certain number (unknown to me), you may need to activate by phone instead of over the internet, but it is an easy process and MS is very co-operative about these things.

If you are reinstalling on the same machine, either to a formatted, empty drive or as a repair to an existing installation, you will have no problems at all.

If you decide you want to use your copy of XP on a different machine, you will need to call the activation number and explain that you do not have XP installed any longer on the old machine and you want to activate it for the new machine. Again, MS will be very co-operative about this.

They are not trying to be difficult, just trying to prevent people from stealing their software. I have never heard even one complaint about the activation process and have reinstalled my own XP 5 or 6 times (I tweak too much!).

5. Marz

Marz Thread Starter

Thank you, I am going to reformat after I unclog my hdd. Hence the DVD burner question. :)

6. Sid9678

Sid9678

if you try to active Windows XP several times ( I Don't know how many times) you'll need to re activate it. The samething is you change hardware inside your computer (aagin I don't know what or how many) you'll need to reactivate it or call Microsoft.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224832

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice