1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

reformat

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by chavezn2004, Feb 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chavezn2004

chavezn2004 Thread Starter

i just reformated my computer by restarting in ms-dos mode and typing format c:, and it went through the stuff and i restarted it after it was done and when my computer loaded so i could install windows 98 this screen came up "INVALID SYSTEM DISK REPLACE THE DISK, AND THEN PRESS ANY KEY" can somebody please help me? i already asked the stupid people are gateway and they couldnt tell me nothing so i started searching and found this site so could somebody please help me? thanks

2. kimmer13

kimmer13

when you formatted it, you wiped it clean of all files, but without the /s switch, it also made the c: drive non-bootable. you now need to boot with a removable disk, like a floppy or a bootable CD. what do you have for reinstalling windows - a boot disk + cd or just a cd?

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

I have a section with instructions for creating a boot disk at:
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/install/floppies.htm

There is also the generic one which you can download and extract at:
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/software/win98_img.exe

There are a lot of the DOS utilities there that don't normally get added when you make one from Win98. For example Diskcopy, Doskey, Format, More, Move, Sys, Edit, Chkdsk, Deltree, Extract, Fdisk, Attrib, Label, Mem, Scandisk, Scanreg, Smartdrv and Xcopy.

Not only are there more utilities on there but it starts much faster since it doesn't have to create the RAM disk and then expand the cab file from the floppy to that RAM disk.

It automatically loads with support for a generic CD ROM and assigns it the drive letter of X:

There is also a CD ROM boot image you can download at:
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/software/win_boot.iso

4. chavezn2004

I have just a cd

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Then download either the bootable floppy or CD I just posted.

6. chavezn2004

my brother just made a boot disk and when we put it in it brought up the screen and now its saying the cd rom wont work what do i do now?

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

What boot disk did you download (floppy or CD)

Is a drive letter being assigned to the CD ROM drive.

What is the exact error you get when you try and access it.

8. chavezn2004

i used floppy, win 98 se oem bootdisk. the boot disk worked and it asked it i wanted to start the computer with cd rom support or no cd rom support, i clicked on with cd rom support and it started going. then it said that it is aborting the installation because a cd rom drive was not found.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326129

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice