1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reformat?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mikeinstloui, Oct 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mikeinstloui

mikeinstloui Thread Starter

Hello
    I have winXP on my system and I have a virus (flec006 I believe). I tried to run my antivirus in safe mode, but I can't get into safe mode. It just keeps rebooting

I read in a help site to change my mscofig boot.ini to boot into safe mode....well, to make a long story short, I can't even boot into windows anymore. It just keeps rebooting.

My question is...can I change this setting in anyway, or somehow get my computer to just go into safe mode?

Otherwise, I need to reformat.

Thanks

Mike in St. Louis

2. Dr. Chauncey

Dr. Chauncey

Do you have any important data you need to recover?

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Have you tried pressing and releasing F8 continually as soon as you power up the PC to get the Safe Mode menu ?

5. mikeinstloui

Wow, Thanks for the rapid responses.

I have pressed F8 about a million times.

I do have important data to recover,but I may make it a slave drive and try to put it on another drive.

i do have my XP disk. What good would running checkdisk do if it is proabably some software problem. Thanks againg.

6. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

What good is it to run chkdsk? Not much if you do not run it, this tells you a lot if you could run it and post the results it would tell us a lot?

7. mikeinstloui

Thanks..it is my home computer and I will check it when I get home.

8. mikeinstloui

OK...I ran REPAIR from the XP disk on advise of my IT guy...and it keeps wanting to boot into safe mode since I put in my boot.INI to boot into safe mode. And I get the error that setup can't boot into safe mode so I have to keep restarting.

Even worse, I borrowed a formated hard drive from work and tried to get my pictures onto the new hard drive so I can reformat the old one. Problem is that I can't get the pix off cuz it says I don't have access....ANY SUGGESTIONS

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/645550

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice