1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

reformating a dual boot

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by ArleyM, Sep 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArleyM

ArleyM Thread Starter

A friend of mine asked me to reformat her computer. It's an ancient P133 laptop, that has dual booting on it (win 2000 and win 98) I went into 2000 no prob, but when I tried to get into win 98 it puts me in dos, like the os isn't there. When I type ver it tells me it's windows 98 and stuff.

I can't get back to the bootscreen, I can't restart.

I don't really know any dos commands, so any help would be awesome. I'm tempted to just try to reformat it from here without making a bootdisk and backing up drivers. I'm going back to win 95 (it's so slow w/ 2000), and not dual booting.

I dunno what I'm doing anymore. phooey.

2. Styxx

Styxx Banned

You'll have to Boot with a Startup Disk to format the partition(s). I'd just format the Win2K partition but if you're going back to Win95 be sure you download the correct drivers from the computer maker's website for the Audio, Video, and modem.

If you going back to square one, I'd delete both partitions then create one (1) DOS partition using 100% of the drive; format that new partition and reinstall Windows.

Please see the following printable tutorial in the enclosed attatchment and the tutorial how-to's at PC911

Attached Files:

3. raybro

raybro

If you want to go back to Win95 only, you need to delete the existing partitions and create a new one for Win95 in FAT format.

Be aware if you do this ALL data on the drive will be lost.

This can be done in fdisk. If your CD for Win95 is of the early version, it will limit your partition size to 2Gb. Not much in todays world.

If you have the Win98 CD, I suggest that is the better alternative. If the drive is smaller than 32Gb, you will have no probs using Win98. You can create a new partition in FAT32 and load Win98.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168298

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice