Reformating from the BIOS Screen

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Surazal

Guys,

Is there any way for me to format my computer from the Bios screen? Or rather, how can I reformat my HD before it tries to run a defunked Windows install?? Please help me!

Thanks in advance,
Surazal

Not possible from BIOS . . boot from the install disc . . format and install

Surazal

Any way I can get to the C:/ prompt before it tries to start up the windows crap? I can reformat it from there...

cwwozniak

Chuck
Surazal said:
Any way I can get to the C:/ prompt before it tries to start up the windows
What version of Windows is installed on the computer? Newer versions do not start in MS-DOS and then launch Windows. They go right into Windows and offer a command line interface that looks a lot like MS-DOS. (EDIT: It will not allow you to use the FORMAT command on the system drive.)

Does the computer have a floppy and/or CD drive that you could boot from?

Surazal

Yeah, it's Windows XP Home. Here's my setup

Intel DQ35JO Desktop Motherboard
Intel Duo Core 1.8G
2 Gigs DDR2
MSI NX8600GTS (Graphics Card)
80 Gig HD (SATA cable)

It started to load windows with the disk in the DVDROM, I have no floppy... So I began installing it. It goes through, I formated my drive and then it gets to the windows install of device screen, just when it's about to be finished installing devices, it gives me the BSOD! Here's the error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Now, when I try to reinstall windows it freezes up when it asks what I want to do (restart windows, repair windows or exit). It doesn't let me do anything, but it doesn't give me a BSOD.

Did you disconnect all external peripherals except the monitor, keyboard and mouse? . . and be sure those are not USB, or wireless. Any internal USB card should also be removed.

You will need to boot from the install cd, delete the existing partitions and start over with the installation . . to do that, enter BIOS ( Setup ) and set the first boot device as CD/ROM. Put your XP Disc in the drive and reboot.

when it restarts you will see a black screen with a prompt "Press any key to boot from CD" . . do that and you will be able to delete any or all partitions and recreate one or more, then proceed to formating and installing XP.

That message can pass quickly, so have a finger on the keyboard when you boot. This will delete all data on the drive so be sure you have your important data backed up. The prompt will appear after every reboot, but do not press any key on subsequent reboots. The setup process will continue with no action required from you.

If you do not get that message, and if you have another optical drive, try the XP CD in the other drive.

Since you are installing on SATA drive, there is an additional step:

http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how_do_i_install_windows_xp_on_a.htm

Floppy drives are dirt cheap . . you can save yourself some grief if you get one for the installation. There is an alternative for installing on a SATA . . Go into the bios and check the "sata operation" setting, change it to "Raid Autodetect/ATA " if it is not already. Now try to install XP

Getting a Win98 boot disc to recognize a SATA drive will be a neat trick

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online