1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reformating Hard Drive XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cindy1948, Oct 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cindy1948

cindy1948 Thread Starter

I want to reformat my hard drive. I have windows XP. I have my system recovery CDs, application recovery cd, and driver recovery cd.

Can anyone tell me exactly what to do???please!!

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. Change your bios setup to boot from cdrom, if it isn't already set that way, then pop in your system recovery cd and reboot.

3. cindy1948

cindy1948 Thread Starter

How do I change my bios......step by step please.

Thanks muchly!!!!

4. cindy1948

cindy1948 Thread Starter

Oh, and don't I have to say reformat somewhere along the line??

5. ~Candy~

Pop it in and reboot first, it may already be set that way.....

If not, when the computer is restarting, there is a key to press to access the bios setup. Most often it is the DEL key, but can be F 1, F 2, or Compaq F 10. Once there, set the boot order, save changes and exit.

No, the restore cd should do everything for you. You'll have some choices to make normally.

6. cindy1948

cindy1948 Thread Starter

Thanks muchly!!!!

7. Schnitzu

Schnitzu

Just courious -- why do you want to format your hard drive?

8. cindy1948

cindy1948 Thread Starter

My son has soooooooooooooooo much stuff on this puter and this puter runs soooooooo slow. It is a sony 1.8 g, 512 ram.

Tomorrow I get the new graphics card and I guess I want this like a new puter before I install the new card.

9. ~Candy~

You realize, that his sooooooooooooooooooooooo much stuff will go bye bye unless he has a backup?????

10. cindy1948

cindy1948 Thread Starter

11. ~Candy~

Ok, go for it ;)

12. cindy1948

cindy1948 Thread Starter

thank you and bye for now!

13. Rage1

Rage1

A few weeks ago i formatted a 30 gig hard drive into 3 drives with the partition for the c drive being less than 5 gig. In hindsight i guess i should have made it larger as i am now getting messages that say i am running out of space on the drive.
    On the other partitions i have data and games and not a lot of either. My question IS i would like to redo win xp and make my 3 partitions equal in size as i once had them. What all do i need as far as boot disks go, or do i just insert the xp cd and go from there and will it come to the part where it allows you to adjust the partitions and so on.

Thanks in advance.

14. ~Candy~

If you go the XP route, you'll wipe everything. If that is acceptable to you....then yes....that will work.

Otherwise you can use a partitoning program like Partition Magic and resize the partitions without losing anything.

15. Rage1

Rage1

Last night a friend of mine who is computer literate phoned me around ten and he told me a quick fix for my problem on the C drive. It seems that the page file is automaticly set to 1.5 times the Ram memory you have in the system, i have one gig so the page file ends up as being 1536 meg. All i did was to change the page file to another of the partitions that did not have a lot on them and now things are fine so now reformatting or such.

Thanks for any help you have given me.

Rage1.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171753

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice