1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reformating Hard drive

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Sheair, Jan 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sheair

Sheair Thread Starter

Long story short, I have a computer that i want to reformat / clean out ect , to give to grandson, sounds like a not to hard thing to do, here is where i first went wrong:) (thinking that, as i have NO idea what iam doing, but read the book)
    anyway, it is a Gateway,
    GenuineIentel Intel(r) Celeron(tm) Processor
    192MB RAM
    Available space on drive C 152mb of 2047MB(Fat)
    which tells me nothing , hoping that means something to you what I DO know is that this sucker is full of junk and wont take anything more, ergo I want to whipe it clean and have it start fresh,
    here is the problem, i put in the System Restoration CD clicked on the tab that say's you can use this CD to restore as like when you got it yada yada click Restart and follow on screen diraction,,,,,,,so taking courage in hand i clicked Restart..........( thinking i dont have anything to lose and this IS a learning experance) so with held breath waited for it to come back up in the CD restoration thingy........ONLY NOTHING happend it went right on past it like it wasnt even there????? why?? should i do something to get it to go to the CD? i was thinking it would Boot up IN the CD??? as always thank you for any help you all can give:)
    PS. remember this is not a main computer so not pulling hair to get it running right , have all the time i need to play with it, i would just like to at least get to the game if ya know what i mean, :) Sheair

2. SexyTech

SexyTech

Hi there!

What you'll want to do is this:

1. with the system powered off, disconnect all peripherals (ie. Printer, scanners etc.

2. Boot into the BIOS ([F1] on startup)

3. Reset the defaults in the BIOS ( [F9] key and confirm)

4. Check your boot sequence-Make ATAPI CD-Rom the first boot device.

5. Save and exit from bios.

6. Boot to your restoration CD.
    NOTE: Make sure that the Restoration CD is in your PRIMARY CD Drive. You will see a prompt right after the "GATEWAY" screen that will say...

Please choose an option:
    1. Boot to Hard Drive
    2. Boot to CD-Rom

Choose the "Boot From CD" option and follow the prompts to erse all data and reinstall windows!

Good Luck!

ST

3. Sheair

Sheair Thread Starter

Why Bless your heart Sexy Tech:)
    you make it sound so easy.....only thing that gave me a little pause was that good luck at the end*grin* but i thank you for getting back to me so fast, and will let you know how i do , as soon as i can get back here ,,,,,,,

4. Sheair

Sheair Thread Starter

Good news..and bad *sigh* i got LOTS of space on the HD now:) thats the good part it went just like you said it would :) cleaned everything out , happy about that, only thing is it dont see any modem to dile up for internet, and i have no sound? taking one thing at a time, for the dile up i got to that part where the computer looks for it, didnt find any so i was to pick one , i did, only not the right one so took the cover off to just look at it, 1st problem is which one it was ? the top one or the bottom one, i picked the top ( only cause it was easy to get to) took it out and it dont say what it is? this is all that is on it PCTEL than under that PCT789T-C1, so does that tell you what kind of modem i have? i really need it to get to the connection, Iam thinking the one under it is more memory, anyway how do i find out what kind of modem this is? like i said one thing at a time:) Sheair

5. coolhand420

coolhand420

to find out the wich modem and sound card you have try this free program

its a small download 2min on a dial up u can save the setup to a floppy then install it on the other computer after its installed and opened it will tell you everything on your computer hardware and software you should see a modem and a sound card write the manufacture and models and any numbers associated with them down if windows doesnt have the drivers you need for them look here

username is: driver password: all
    then look up yoour hardware there they will walk you through how to look up. if you have trouble finding save the system info from belarc as a text file and and attach it too your post at the bottom or copy and paste the info and someone will help you get the drivers

this site ruleswww.belarc.com/free_download.html driverguide.com

6. jm100dm

jm100dm

The modem is the card that has phone connections. Your sound card has plugs for audio and the one with your monitor pluged into it is the video card.

Were there other disks that came with the computer for the modem and soundcard?

As coolhand pointed out belarc is a great tool to see what is on your computer. I personally print it out for all computers for future reference.

Let us know how it goes.

jm100dm

7. coolhand420

coolhand420

your modem driver can be found here

just pick you model the pct xxxx number download and save to floppy right click on my computer choose properties then the device manager tab choose your modem or the unknown device beleived to be your modem choose update driver or reinstall driver search for an updated driver then choose floppy your modem should then proceed to install you may have to choose specify a location choose a:/ then browse the floppy drive and select the modem then ok and ok
    www.pctel.com/support.htm

8. coolhand420

coolhand420

well my links arent working but you can copy and paste them to your browser

OK NOW MY LINKS ARE FIXED!!!!!:rolleyes:

9. SexyTech

SexyTech

Hi There!

With Windows up and running, Insert your Gateway System Restoration CD and it should autorun.

this CD also contains drivers and the basic applications needed for your system!

Happy Computing!

ST

P.S. Yes, I used to work for Gateway!

10. Sheair

Sheair Thread Starter

Thank you all SO much for your great sites ect. will get back to you as soon as i can, keeping in mind im slow at this :)

11. Sheair

Sheair Thread Starter

UPDATE,
    It's not looking good right now, I first redid the system restoration CD, nothing about a modem. went to that site Belarc Adivisor ( that is TOCOOL) and found in Communications , Standard 56000bpsK56FlexModem, so im thinking alright im on my way (haha)
    so tryed the Wizard to get it to see that the dang thing is their!! didnt work so tryed to Manually install it, only thing i got doing that is 2 little phones showing . in the trobbleshooting thing in modem it shows it but not the port? i found the port i see it why cant the computer?? (it's com1) oh yeah and i tryed to do that verify thing where you restart your computer and hold down CTRL and choose Safe mode blah blah anyway THAT didnt work either. is there some way i can transfer what it showed me in Belarc Advisor,(without having to type it all) so you will have a better idea of what im seeing? anyway any ideas you have will be appracitted:)
    PS. im wondering just how much my grandson "really" needs his own computer at this point *grin* and i havent even gotten to no sound yet*sigh*

12. Hairy

Hairy

13. Sheair

Sheair Thread Starter

that would be way to easy :) it is not the same one the one that came with it got hit by lighting:) but good idea...She

14. Hairy

Hairy

maybe it would be easier for you to find them here:
    http://www.modem-drivers.com/companies/801.htm

remove whatever modem is listed in device manager and start over, once you get the right drivers for your version (?) of Windows

the port thing should straighten out with the right drivers

15. coolhand420

coolhand420

if you want to post the belarc results first open the belarc save the results as a text file (next steps optional) open the text file and delete any personal info you may not want to display inc the windows key numbers/ then save to a floppy disc then save from the floppy on the puter you connect on the internet with and save it to my doc our someplace just know were it is then post a reply here. at the bottom there it says attach file. hit browse. it will show your puter find the belarc text file click on it hit open then it will show the path to the file in the attach file window your post will now have alink here for anyone to download

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112480

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice