1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reformating problems!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by DK01, Sep 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DK01

DK01 Thread Starter

I just installed a new mobo and cpu which after I got everything working I tried to reformat the hard drive with a fresh windows xp. But I am not able to reformat cuz when I try to delete the old partition to create a new one it is saying something that windows has temp files in there and won't give me the option to delete all, then just kicks me back. I was planning on downloading a bootdisk and just format that way to a floppy and then reinstall windows. Am I am to do that? I know usually xp can do it all from the cd. Thanks

2. Nigelum

Nigelum

I would use an old Windows 98 startup disk (or anything that can boot into DOS), and delete any and all partitions...then let XP partition/formatt your drive.

3. djrock

djrock

Hi DK01 can you not delete the partition or format it in windows xp setup?

4. DK01

DK01 Thread Starter

Yes... I am not able to do that cuz of these temp files that windows are using. I never had this problem before when formatting and I can't get around it. I was planning on using a boot disk from a previous OS but I read some where that cuz of the NTFS, I am not able to use earlier boot disk is that true?

5. djrock

djrock

Yes thats true you cannot access ntfs with a past os's boot disk but you can use fdisk to remove the partition then allow winxp setup to create the partition then format it to ntfs.

djrock

6. DK01

DK01 Thread Starter

yes.. I see what you saying. Thanks DJ for your help when I get back home tonite I will give it a shot.

7. Old Rich

Old Rich

If you get a message about temp files when you try to reinstall, you have not booted from the cd . . . enter BIOS ( Setup ) and make sure the CD/ROM the first boot device. Put your XP Disc in the drive and disconnect all external peripherals except the keyboard and mouse, and be sure those are not USB.

Once you set your BIOS to boot first from cd . . when it restarts you will see a black screen with a prompt "Press any key to boot from cd" . . do that and you will be able to delete partitions and recreate the ones you want and proceed to formating and installing XP.

That message can pass quickly, so have a finger on the keyboard when you boot. This will delete all data on the drive so be sure you have your important data backed up.

This is a good guide to reinstalling XP . . you might want to print it for reference during the install.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp

You will have to reload drivers and applications, After the installation, you will need to download and install the MicroSoft Critical Updates. Alternately, this would be a good time to install SP-2, while windows is clean. Prior to connecting to the internet be sure you enable the XP firewall.

Good luck and have fun . . wrs

8. DK01

DK01 Thread Starter

ahhh... thank you. I had a funny feeling it would be my usb keyboard connection because I was able to use my keyboard using bios and windows but not when it asked me to press a key to use the cd rom boot. I will have to get out my old ps/2 keyboard, dust it off and give a key. Thanks!!!

9. Old Rich

Old Rich

good luck . . and you are welcome . . wrs

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276143

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice